Which microphone for hi hat ?

BigYinUK

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The PG81s serve as a great budget choice as well - but make sure you tape up the bleedin' switch!

Another vote for PG81!!

We have 2 PG81s and we use 1 on the hi hat and a studio vocal condenser (don’t know model but built by audiotechnica) as an overhead and its the best the kit has ever sounded we miced the rest of it but condenser wise it was the best we have ever miced!

Tom

p.s. we have 2 c1000's and I don’t mind using them!

they aren’t my first choice but once done a gig with 2 of them in centre and 2 PG81s far left and far right (all mics off stage) and sounded alright for a bit of a sing along were we weren’t aloud mics on stage :)

The new Studiospares catalogue arrived yesterday, and kept me occupied for most of the evening. They're selling the SE1a for £61.68 inc VAT, which is significantly cheaper than Thomann - a reminder that it's worth looking at UK suppliers rather than automatically ordering from Thomann.

I was struck by the huge number of very cheap condenser stick mics now on offer - the SE1a previously mentioned, Studiospares S900 for £36, and CAD GLX122 at £43.20. Also listed are the Behringer B5 for a shade under £50, and a pair of Behringer C2s for £36.20 (all plus VAT).

Apart from the SE1a, which is a favourite of mine, I have not tried any of these - but would be fascinated to hear objective comments from anyone who has actually USED any of these mics, or similar mics such as the Thomann EM800 mentioned by Bob Beech.

For live work I now always use an SE1a on the hi-hat. In the studio the SE1a acquits itself well, but I've also used AKG C451, Beyer M201, Calrec CM1050 and Neuman KM84, all to good effect.

On a tangent, I'm often infuriated by catalogue editors' and website designers' failure to provide consistent specification data about competing products - for some of the aforementioned mics Studiospares include a full spec in the description, whereas others merely tell you that the mic is a superb piece of kit! I wish they would take the time to do more than copy chunks out of the manufacturer's sales blurb!

I use one of those old tandy/radio shack £30 jobbies. Best results I've got from my own stock. It uses a single AA battery and isn't wired for Phantom, but it's made by Optimus. I don't know the model number I'm afraid.

Otherwise, I've used AKG C1000s and Rode NT3s to good effect. As you may expect, the Rode required less EQ than the AKG.

I've also used an Audio Technica AT3035 large diaphragm studio style vocal mic too. That worked well.

Archived