foh nd monitor mix from one "quality" desk

The Boogie Man

Thats ok about the effects as I never used them on the b'gr, I have them come in on channels from my digitecs.

I've been trawling through th sites and I'm torn between the mix wizard and the gl2400 16.

The latter gives me more, but it's got phyisicaly bigger footprint.

The difference in price makes me think that the extra channels on the latter might be worth the extra expence, only 899 for the mix and 1300 for the gl. They both do exactly what I want.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello,

Im just adding another thumbs up for the GL2400, I think it's got nearly all you asked for in the first post. I think the matrix part of the desk would be useful for when you say you want an extra send from the Main outputs, as someone has already mentioned. So another vote for the GL2400 16.

Cheers

Ryan

The model ranges aren't identical but I'd say the GB4 is Soundcraft's nearest equivalent to the GL2400. I've not used the GB4 but the GB8 (similar but an 8 bus mixer) seemed pretty good when I did a show on one. I think I slightly prefer the A&H (possibly just due to familiarity) but could easily live with either mixer.

Edit: The link to the GB4 that I forgot to paste in is HERE!

Bob

I realise that you seem to be tending towards the larger format desks, but just to let you know Soundcraft are about to release their new GB2R rackmount 16 channel desk. It's basically a Mixwizard but without built in FX. They haven't released any prices yet but thought you might be interested.

Re:GB2/GB4 equivalent, the GB2 has the closest spec to the GL2400, but with the exception of a single Master fader and no LEDs for the sub group outputs. If you're not too bothered about the LEDs, although it sounds like you are, then the GB2 would do, and is slightly cheaper than the GL. If LEDs are a deciding factor, then although my experience of the GB series (I own a GB8 and used a GB4) has been faultless, the extra cost for a GB4 over a GL2400 is, in my opinion, worth it. But if budget is an issue, then the extra couple of hundred is quite alot for getting LED metering on the groups. You do get a number of additional features, including additional duplicate stereo outputs on pots with a built in 4db limiter, and 8 auxes instead of 6, but it all depends on what your going to be using the desk for.

We also have an LX7 which has been a nice small footprint mixer but with the GB2 only being an extra hundred or so and you get the matrix output, I'd go for the GB2 over the LX7ii any day

For what I asked for in the op, it looks like a straight choice between the soundcraft gb4 16 and the allan and heath gl2400 16.

There seems to be very little difference, just odd bits on one the other dosn't have and vice verser. Now it's just deciding which has more of what I want. ;)

Be wary of the GB4, on the surface it looks like a great desk but compared to the A&H models it doesn't have a pad on the XLR inputs, has a lot of buttons at the base of the faders which can be cumbersome and only has a maximum of 4 post-fade auxiliaries none of which can be swapped for a group fader. It's also physically much bigger. The GB8 rectifies many of these shortfalls but overall I'd be happier with the GL2400 than the GB4. ;)

I have to admit to being a soundcraft fan, but the weight of opinion does seem to be in the a+h gl2400's favour.

Looks like the card will be getting hit hard again soon.

Still on topic, but relating to the sub channel switching on my soundcraft 200 ( up for 1+2 or down for 3+4 ), does any of the more technicaly minded members know if if the switching button could be hard wired to feed both sub group channels? I know it's probably not worth the effort, but if it was a simple job it would solve the two outs problem until I got a new desk

I recently picked up a 200B, which gives separate buttons to feed mix/1+2/3+4. the boards on the 200 looked simple enough to be butchered into doing that, but be prepared to do it 24 times! (assuming you have the 24ch)

Hi

I have used the LX7II in my school (24 Channle version) and while its not the best desk they could of got............it dose the job.

you can send a channle to both 1/2 and 3/4 and mix and mono! so in effect you could have 3 stero outs and a mono out aswell as the auxes

one thing I would say is that it dosent have a matrix .......... which is a real pain especialy since I have to use aux sends insted.

on the whole it is a prity decient desk for the price...... maby they could work a matrix in then I would be :P !

hth

tom

Archived