High School Musical - Flying lyrics projections ?

louis

As the cable would have a long run, 40M+, am I assuming a VGA to CAT5 converter would be needed to stop shadowing if a VGA were used?

You might be alright to be honest, just one laptop source for the whole thing with no changeovers etc, it depends whether it's running alongside any heavy duty mains etc - but of course if you have a pair of convertors to hand and enough cat5 cable there is no harm in using them.

Also, just to get my 2p worth in, make sure you consider how you will blank out the projection for the rest of the show - remember that projector black (as in black screen on the laptop) is not always (especially on a cheap DP) a blackout, normally just a projection of a very dark colour, which can cause real problems for the LD.

EDIT - punctuation

I think the projector will only be used once, so the power could just be switched off DIRECT from the plug so there is no power off confirmation screen. We don't actually have any converters, but I just wanted to make sure we could get the best, most professional job done, not just a rubbish one where shadowing occurs.

From past experience of running VGA cables at the venue, we would probably have to run around 100m of VGA cable (sorry for saying 40M earlier), so I think we would get shadowing from that.

Does anyone know if you can hire VGA to CAT5 units from anywhere?

Wouldn't that kill the fans as well as the lamp - thus not allowing it to properly cool down? Don't know if this is standard practice or not but just thought I'd be safe and make the point.

Alex.

some thoughts:

Firstly, school are often lousy with projectors but I wouldn't expect them to be so well endowed with ways of hanging them. It's not that devices for so doing (cradles or brackets that screw on the top) are hard to come by, just some thing you need to think about.

And to answer the problem you've hit there with regard lamping it off a few suggestions:

1) DIY solution with bits of card and string etc. Takes time and effort but little to no cost.

2) Professionally made, DMX controllable shutter.

3) really posh projector with DMX shutter I've only ever heard of by dint of this forum

4) A REALLY long serial cable and a computer with the right software

5) A remote control for the projector

really which ever of those grabs you as most practical in your circumstances.

Lastly 100m's doesn't grab me as probable for VGA -> you need to look at other ways of getting the signal to the projector. I'll let a vidiot advice you as to the best.

Lastly 100m's doesn't grab me as probable for VGA -> you need to look at other ways of getting the signal to the projector. I'll let a vidiot advice you as to the best.
100m VGA would most probably be replaced with CAT5 using 2 convertors.

Hiring in cat5/VGA convertors is not difficult, and I suggest getting a projector mount or rigging kit from the same source would be possible and practical.

The DIY solution is probably easiest in your case, and quite rewarding! A bit of cardboard (weighted with blu tack or similar normally helps) which is just dropped down/pulled up in front of the lens. It is certainly better for the projector lamp, and you could then properly power down during the interval.

DMX controlled irises are another way if you can afford them, or I've achieved the same affect by projecting onto a DMX controlled moving mirror (designed to retro fit to source4s etc) and thus move the projected black screen to somewhere less obvious till you can power down. This could also offer more opportunites for movement of the scrolling lyrics.

EDIT - Doh! I didn't consider that you were projecting text, which obviously gets mirrorred in a mirror! For clouds when I did it, it made no difference, but for real words it would! Still feasible though with the right setup...

EDIT - Doh! I didn't consider that you were projecting text, which obviously gets mirrorred in a mirror! For clouds when I did it, it made no difference, but for real words it would! Still feasible though with the right setup...

Should be as simple as setting the projector to back projection mode.

Just to confirm- killing a projector by switching off at the mains is not advisable for reasons stated.

Something I know all too well :angry: Not only has a series of power cuts destroyed the bulb it has totaled the projector. I am now either looking at a very large repair bill or a new projector.

Regarding the VGA->CAT5->VGA adaptors and the proposed cable run, without line extenders the official max run for a CAT5 is 100mtrs, also many VGA extenders commercially available (KVM Extenders esp') use a dedicated cable, seperate from the IT network as the signal transmitted is not always 'Ethernet' standard.

In most cases, KVM extenders must also use solid core CAT5, not stranded for performance issues. (CAT5e and CAT6 are also sometimes ruled out as well)

Out of interest, the longest VGA cable I have ever seem used without any kind of extender or booster is 50mtr, which looked fine, no shadows etc. I don't know how much longer you could afford to go, but at work, our main supplier will not go over 25mtr for PC monitor applications.

Archived