Haze from a smoke machine

cedd

That's not a bad idea. I'd always just assumed smoke fluid to come out of the bottle and be pretty much unchangeable. I might have an experiment. Just need somewhere to play in now without gasing myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Dont forget that if you use a fan, that you put it behind the smoke machine. If you let the smoke be sucked through the fan by putting it infront, the vapour will condense on the fan, and will get very wet! and may bugger the fan.

Water down your fluid with some di-ionised water, and use a fan. But you may have to exsperiment because the thinner the fluid the more likely steam will be created and therefore the vapour will be wetter, just a thought

vince

There are many different grades of fluids out there... although we only mainly sell two: Fog and Haze. But we cater for everything from a very light haze to an incredibly dense and long lasting fog - so fluid is always a good place to start.

As mentioned, a fan is always a good idea but I can personally recommend the Antari Z-300II as mentioned previously by a poster. CPC do have a few left (when I last spoke to them) as do our warehouses but I do know that they are currently updating their portfolio of effect fluids.

• 5 months later...

Hi Everyone

Following on from this very interesting topic.

I have to produce a haze effect for our upcoming production of Into The Woods and I only have a smoke machine to play with (and very little budget - it's all being spent on sound and orchestra).

The director wants the haze effect for the whole show, so my question is, if I follow the advice in this thread and go with a low output and a big fan - how much liquid am I likely to need for a 3 hour show? 500ml? A litre? A hogshead?

I'm not sure what the make of fog machine is - we borrow it when needed for a nominal fee from a local guy. I think it's small a Jem, but until I see him in a couple of weeks I won't know for sure.

This info is really for budget purposes - if I need to allow $20 per performance for liquid, then the producer is going to have some serious thinking to do.

Thanks for any info

Ian

(already stressed after only 1 rehearsal!)

Its impossible to say without knowing what machine you have and how much you water down your fluid.

A ZR22/33 is going to use a hell of alot more fluid than a magnum 650!

Its all proportional.

Rich

I guess I should have known that would be the answer! I have done some digging in the files and it looks like a magnum 650 or possibly 800 if that helps

Thanks

Ian

Firstly - watering down smoke fluid?! Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. :angry:

Secondly - it depends on a few more factors than the fluid consumption rate of the machine. The air movement in the performing space will have a lot to do with it - smoke fluid doesn't "hang" like proper haze fluid does, and if you've got air handling equipment running in the space, or doors being opened and closed a lot, you'll find that it has quite an effect on how long the effect will hang about for.

• 9 years later...

Sorry to drag up an old thread and I might sound a little stupid but for a 24' x 8' stage, I'm going to have to place the smoke machine under the stage with a fan horizontal to the smoke projection.

Would an oscillating fan or static fan be best if it's right at the back of the stage?

Archived