Octal to din/bleecon converter leads.

Pardisaster

An update: (yes, dear moderators, I know, I'm replying to my own post, so should really edit the previous one. But it was several weeks ago. Makes much more sense to have a new post....)

Got the octal plugs. Thanks, Ebay.

Made up some leads. Pin-out was straightforward.

Borrowed a demux. Made sure it had -ve outputs.

So all ready to go.

So took all the gear to the venue - the show isn't for a couple of weeks, but best to test in advance.

First problem. The dimmers are hard-wired to an isolator via very short tails. Nothing unusual there - it just means they can't be moved, and the octal socket is hidden out-of-sight. Got to do the whole thing by touch.

So. Pull out the old connectors, and try to plug in the adaptor cable. (Blind - working by touch alone) But can't get it to fit.

Have a closer look. Both of the original octals don't have the centre keyed pin. It was broken off in the socket - which I can't see. So there's no way the adaptor is going in unless I get the pin out (ha!) or break off the pin on the adaptor.

Check the other dimmer. Again, a broken pin. This time I'm lucky, and the broken bit isn't stuck in the hole, so I can fit the adaptor.

Thankfully all works OK.

Next problem - putting things back together. Now, which of the 8 possibilities is the correct option for that octal....

It's never straightforward.

Bruce.

• 1 year later...

Moderation: similar threads merged

Does anyone know what the type of control cable that very old strand systems like the mini 2 run off, there are two of them running from the desk to the dimmers?

Ben

Since it's just a control cable, it'll be delivering next to no current, so I wouldn't expect any significant voltage drop. Thin cable should be fine. I once ran some analogue dimmers using about 120m of ordinary cat5 cable, and it was OK.

but what is the name of the conector (like DMX etc)?

(pedantic - there's no such a thing a "DMX connector" - DMX is a protocol - there are 5-pin XLR connectors, which are commonly used for DMX...)

The connectors you're talking about are known as "octal connectors". You'll have trouble finding them new - RS, CPC etc will sell the chassis-mount sockets, but the plugs are harder to come by. You can adapt an old relay base, or keep looking on Ebay. They were fairly common in the "valve radio" days...

this is all discussed above.

The connectors you're talking about are known as "octal connectors". You'll have trouble finding them new - RS, CPC etc will sell the chassis-mount sockets, but the plugs are harder to come by. You can adapt an old relay base, or keep looking on Ebay. They were fairly common in the "valve radio" days...

this is all discussed above.

3 or 4 years ago I bought some from Lancelyn. You could try them. They do very occasionally come up on eBay.

I have found one secondhand one kicking about, which, for cost of postage, you would be welcome to have.

Nigel

• 1 month later...
Can I confirm that it is possible to control Mini2 dimmers, running on -15V analogue control, with a demux set to output -10V, assuming connectors are sorted out. I assume it is, since bruce said everything was OK, but I would be grateful to have someone confirm it.

Can I confirm that it is possible to control Mini2 dimmers, running on -15V analogue control, with a demux set to output -10V, assuming connectors are sorted out. I assume it is, since bruce said everything was OK, but I would be grateful to have someone confirm it.

The control on a Mini2 dimmer pack is 0 to -10V, although the dimmer pack may supply -18V to -20V-ish to the desk.

Nigel

Archived