DVD Authoring/Duplication

sah1510

May I enquire as to what you decided to go with / or what you would recommend?
I'd recommend the PRIMERA BRAVO SE DVD/CD DUPLICATOR . You can pick this up from cd-writer.com for a £1k plus some change!

You can load 20 discs at a time and it will automatically lift them from the blank spindle, put them in the burner, lift it out when burned and put it in the printer, then lift it from the printer and put it on the completed spindle.

this thing is the bees knees if you are doing anything over 100 discs per production (which shouldn't be a lot for a school?)

The money you will save in seperate or outsourced duplication and printing should pay for this thing in around 18 months max.

Then you'll only have the continuing cost of blank discs and printer ink.

No, 100 disks is not a lot for a school with 1500+ pupils. However, for something like a musical, the popularity of the DVD shall go down considerably. The question now is what is a reasonable price?

People in the show ill pay anything for a DVD of their show, but many other people would only pay about £5 - so we have to work this out carefully.

peternewman, may I ask if you know how to do this or if you have done it before? We have trawled through manuals and knowledge bases - but we can't find a thing! Any helps would be greatly appreciated! :unsure:

No, 100 disks is not a lot for a school with 1500+ pupils. However, for something like a musical, the popularity of the DVD shall go down considerably. The question now is what is a reasonable price?

We have around 1900 students here; the biggest run we ever did of a show recording was 100 and there are still quite a few discs left over... We usually do 30 - 40. As for price, work out the total cost of producing the disc(s) divide it up by the number of discs and round it up to the nearest pound. Include costs of camera tapes, blank discs, cases, printing and any other direct expenses. I think it would be difficult to justify making a profit on them.

People in the show will pay anything for a DVD of their show, but many other people would only pay about £5 - so we have to work this out carefully.

What you may find happening is that one person buys a disc then runs off copies for all their mates. They do it all the time with commercial DVDs / CDs so unfortunately don't view it as any different with these discs :)

In the past, we've taken pre-orders and only made as many as we've had orders for (plus half a dozen spares). It saves being left over with loads that nobody wants.

peternewman, may I ask if you know how to do this or if you have done it before? We have trawled through manuals and knowledge bases - but we can't find a thing! Any helps would be greatly appreciated! :)
Firstly I ought to clarify, most of this is guesswork based on conjecture and a bit of relevant knowledge, but it might provide some useful ideas. Its also one of those things that is hard to troubleshoot without actually being there, and finally its getting close to being OT for the Blue Room.

However with all that said, regarding the local install, if the option exists, which I seem to remember it does (indeed I'd be very surprised if it didn't), then its too long ago since I last used CC3, but would be in the manuals, so I'll leave that bit to your IT guys, although I think it was something like you can choose to install software on a particular machine or group of machines, or user or group of users, the first option and possibly some admin based tweaks on that PC may fix it.

If however Premiere is failing to detect the burner when you first choose burn to DVD, as you alluded to in your first post, then that would appear to be more of a permissions thing than issues with temproary files. The other thing that may be worth trying is doing the same thing while logged in as an admin, or getting your IT guys to try, as those accounts will have elevated permissions which may resolve the issue. Equally trying to use other DVD burning software, even Windows Explorer, will help to troubleshoot where the issue actually is.

• 2 months later...

I use Droppix Recorder Xe for burning..you can burn 4 simultaneously (or 8 with the right license). The 4 version was about 200 Euros (droppix.com)Droppix also comes with a Lightscribe labelling utility, also burning 4 at once. I find it to be reliable and usually knock out 400 or so copies fairly quickly.

For the Authoring I'd recommend Adobe Encore .If u upgrade you're copy of premiere to Premiere Cs3, Encore is bundled with it.

To complete the set I use a Matrox RTx 2 card for capture and realtime rendering

• 4 weeks later...

Archived