Shure Beta 58A, useful for concerts?

sound-man

The Beta 58 is a different mic to an Sm58. They are both useful tools.

If the act has requested a beta in their rider, then you either have to provide it, be that by hiring, buying, begging, borrowing or any other means, or contact the person responsible for the technical aspects of the band and see if a compromise can be reached. I would say it is quite unlikely that a band will default on their contract to perform on the grounds that you have (for example) an Sm, but not a beta available, so as long as you warn them in advance their should be no issue their.

The Sm is less expensive than the beta, but the hire charges for both only generally differ by around £1 - £3 / day.

The beta does have a slightly different frequency response, and polar response pattern.

All the best,

Martin

The Beta has an extended HF response which can be useful for bringing out the detail in some voices, but if you have a "lispy" singer it could be more trouble than it's worth.

+1 for the Audix OM7, we bought a couple recently and have been very impressed with them, especially on noisy singers. The only downside is that the singer needs to stay close into the mic.

Why do people criticise the B58a for being 'toppy'? It's not! It's just got a far superior response than an SM58! So it provides a lovely clear sound in normal situations.. and if your singer's a bit lispy.. LEARN TO USE YOUR EQ! That's what it's there for!

You also, like an OM7, need to make sure decent mic technique is used, because it's supercardioid which means it is narrower but also picks up closer to the capsule. Which I find really useful especially when the singer is in front of drums in smaller venues.

And I also don't think the SM58 is an 'industry standard' any more. Maybe 10 years ago. I don't see them on any riders at all these days. Probably for good reasons!

-just my 3p

A Beta58a is toppy when compared to an SM58 - but so is almost every condenser to dynamics? It has a different response pattern - 'superior' depends on what you want it for, doesn't it?

The 58 is still useful as a well known 'yardstick' to use for comparison - with plenty of personal flavours of the month, depending on the content of your mic box.

Archived