The Future of Projection within Theatre

leejones37

Hi,

as this Barco has not got a full release yet I can't comment but if you were to hire a bright large format projector at say 10,000 lumens in the Uk you would probably pay about £3000 a week for a dry hire.Yes other quotes I'm sure are available for other equipment and other suppliers but this is a ballpark figure.

I can't comment on the actual price of the Barco unit but if I was to guess I'm sure if you got one unit and a spare you would not have much change out of £75,000.Might be way off but prices for brand new state of the art technology from barco won't be cheap.If anyone has the figures or is willing to guess please do.

Perhaps try e-mailing Barco and see if you get a reply.

Cormac

I'll hire you a Barco CLM R10+ 10,000 lumens single Chip DLP for £850/day ex VAT, which is about £3k week inc VAT. The CLM R10+ is around the £15k to buy new price, with the 'Rental and Staging Kit' (Rigging frame, clamps and rugged remote housing) about £1k more.

The DML I would expect to be around £20k, but would hope they bring it in for less. Robe do the 5000 lumen equivalent for a list of £22K, which is frankly ridiculous, considering a 5k projector, and Robe 575 type head leave you with change from £10k...... The CLM is launched in March, with units out for field testing April, product available in the 3rd Quarter of the year from what I've been told. There is at least one unit out there, as it's been shown to a select few, and I'd been hoping, and pushing hard to get two for a tour we're quoting, however Barco weren't playing, which is a shame for me, the tour and Barco.

As for the cost to hire? No idea, but I guess it'll be quite high to start with- I'd expect it to sit around the 10k projector day rate, maybe be higher due to the added complexity and abilities it has. As with all things it'd come down to what people would be prepared to pay for the effect it can generate.

Projection doesn't necessarily have to be on a screen or flat surface. We did an effect for the Royal Opera House where they wanted an eery impression of doves flying away. We filmed pigeons in Trafalgar Square in silhouette against the sky, reversed them so they became white on black, slowed them down, then projected them over the entire stage and set with a quite modestly powered projector.

Projection doesn't necessarily have to be on a screen or flat surface. We did an effect for the Royal Opera House where they wanted an eery impression of doves flying away. We filmed pigeons in Trafalgar Square in silhouette against the sky, reversed them so they became white on black, slowed them down, then projected them over the entire stage and set with a quite modestly powered projector.

Sounds great,pictures perhaps??

C

Sounds great,pictures perhaps??

C

Sorry, not of the staging - virtually impossible to photograph.

This is a still from the video: not much use, I'm afraid!

http://www.ghagroup.co.uk/images/projects_video_005.jpg

Thank you all for your input and useful links / pictures.

My research obviously is continuing and so if anyone hears about projection being used in any other interesting ways or any spectacular projection filled productions, then please continue to post.

Again, thank you all so much for everything so far.

Lee

Hey Lee - ask the LRC to dig my dissertation out on the same subject from 2005! I continued where Sven Ortel left off in 2001, maybe you could continue where I left off - keep the commentary going - would be great to read your final submission.

Did you see the latest Complicite piece at the Barbican/on tour - 'A Disappearing Number' - I can give you details on it if you want as I worked on the production.

If you want to chat about anything PM me

We did a show with a couple of Hitachi CPX 1200s, and projected white noise video onto some dancers. They were the only light source for the piece and it looked impressive.

Archived