How to mix for 2 bands ?

BigYinUK

I don't know why the OP specified analogue (which I had noticed...explaining why I mentioned markup sheets). If it's to do with a "friendly price" for a specific analogue board or whatever, that's fine. However, if he's paying the commercial rate, I suggest that the price of EVERYTHING be factored in. Finally, if it's a worry about learning a digital board, give the LS9 a try. If you can use analogue, you'll probably fine the LS9 even easier!

Simply because that is what I have access to without having to pay out hire charges. We will have to hire in foh as the venue is bigger than we can cope with.

If/when I upgrade, digital certainly looks to be the way forward.

Its all about budget as its not a high end event, just a glorified party.

Thanks for all the info though, most useful & interesting.

Where is the OP from? It doesn't say in your profile but I suggest it might be an idea to let a few people know. Certainly if you were in my area I'd offer to lend a hand for a few beer tokens. I'm not a pro but I've worked quite a few gigs that sound to be quite similair. I'm pretty sure there will be others on the BR out there. We might even have a FOH PA for you to borrow! :-)

Simply because that is what I have access to without having to pay out hire charges. We will have to hire in foh as the venue is bigger than we can cope with.

I wondered if it was something like that. Whatever the economics of digital, it can't beat "free"!

Have fun!

Bob

.......A glorified party!

Well, ignore 98% of the preceeding posts, they're really not paying attention to what you've requested in you're circumstances.

I'm assuming you're talking about 'local bands' rather than 'touring bands'

OK, so there's 2 bands, share the Toms and Bass Drum, between the 2 bands if possible. Usually the Snare hi hats and Cymbals will be unique to each band.

Sod the different channels comments <_< I think I know the type of gig you're trying to do........ basically share the drums. minus the snare and cymbals, but look at the mic placement for both bands, as there will be differences. Budget 2 channels for guitar, 1 for bass, and keys / other instruments as required.

The guitars SET THE LEVELS AS LOW AS CAN BE TOLLERATED - get the levels and eq sorted in soundcheck. Ensure that the levels don't change for the gig. Make a note of the settings. And also make a note of the guitarists amp settings......if for no other reason you can whack him one around the face, if his settings are wrong.....(I'm a guitarist, so don't bite).

As far as vocals go, look at whats required between the two bands, it's not rocket science, find a compromise, we usually do 3 vocal mics as standard, and this seems to suffice, for most bands we work with. The only major difference, is when we have a singing drummer.

What's the best way to soundcheck two bands, a mixer with loads of channels (it'll be analogue) or how ? We'll obviously be sharing foh and foldback and we'll use the other band's noisey to mix whilst we're on. Time shouldn't be an issue as we'll be soundchecking in the afternoon and the show won't start until the evening.

OK-

If you have to stay analogue, and can get a larger desk, then make sure you hire a multicore with an extra set of FOH end tails. That way, you can use the first 16 channels of the desk on one band and the next 16 channels on the other band - simply swapping the harting connector over between bands.

Alternatively, don't use such a big desk and simply share channels, making a note of the important changes.

-Mike

Lightsource, the OP asked how to do it, asked what methods were going to work well. He even asked if a BIG desk was the practical option. He's hiring FOH anyway, so may be a good deal on a large desk and a splitter wont be out of the way. We don't know this. This is why we suggest it.

It's an interesting topic that may well benefit others too, it also makes for good reading to show how lots of people from different areas in the industry do this.

Saying IGNORE 98% of these posts, this is HOW YOU DO IT (not, this is how I would do it), I don't feel is the correct way of going about it.

If the OP hired FOH from me and a larger desk, I'd happily give him a 16/32 way passive splitter to go with it.

Hi again. It is indeed 2 local bands but we're all old hands so want to get it right. Also, I intend to use the night partly as a showcase for my band.

At the moment, venue hire is consuming all my budget (nuff said) :)

I'm in Sussex, Worthing. If there are any local BR members who want to engineer, beer tokens are on offer B-)

hey I would prob either get an engineer do to both there he knows what settings an eq will do both bands or another way gat another small desk and set up a second analougue desk already eq from the sound check then just swap over the multi or else a digital desk will do all for you

cheers

john

Spotlites

Moderation: SPAG EDIT

I would probably either get an engineer do to both there. He knows what settings and eq will do both bands or another way, get another small desk and set up a second analogue desk, already eq'd from the sound check. Then just swap over the multi or else a digital desk will do (it) all for you

Regarding recall sheets (markup sheets, whatever you want to call them):

Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, digital desks were unheard of and I did sound regularly, I never got on well with recall sheets. I drew my own (using Autocad 3.0 and the university's state of the art HP pen plotter), but then found them unwieldy and it was far too easy to make mistakes.

I used to use a little tape dictaphone instead to dictate the settings to myself, and then to reset the desk I'd play it back through my headphones leaving both hands free for knob twiddling. Worked pretty well.

I used to use a dictaphone until one fateful evening the batteries died on me in mid recall. Like a complete berk I didn't have any spare AAA's so I sent one of the beer glass collectors to a neighbouring late night shop....they didn't have any AAA's either! Used the remaining changeover time to do a hasty check on cans. Actually I always do a physical line check on cans because you can bet your bottom dollar that a pad switch or ground lift might have been changed if you are sharing DI's between bands.

Memo to self; buy a dictaphone with a mains adapter capability! Actually I went back to using ye olde pen and paper method.... ;)

Archived