Congo jr and a leapfrog desk

CARWYN

I would like to add, in fairness to the New OS of the Frogs, that the Leap frog is a HUGE improvement.

The Leap Frog is a desk I quickly got used to (from what I'd learned by being a Fat Frog owner).

Busking was much improved, but I still found que stacking (or more to the point editing) a bit of a ffaff!!

it's a really good desk.

End of my contribution...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since Zero88 has replied... :-)

Regarding Andy's console being unreliable, this is not the norm. I'm chatting with our technical services folks in London right now and I hope that Andy (or the appropriate person at his theatre) will give them a call. The console is well within its warranty period and if for some reason it cannot be fixed it should be replaced by us.

Regarding some of his other comments -

You can use timing with palettes on the Congo/Congo jr - just type the time value into the number field before pressing the direct select.

We also have a new remote control for the Congo/Congo jr with a display and built-in encoders. It's a vast improvement over the basic remote.

I highly recommend that the OP give both consoles a try before choosing, though. ETC offers training at our London office quite regularly, or I'm sure a demo could be arranged.

Thanks -

Sarah

Sarah Clausen

Controls Product Manager

ETC, Inc.

You could also look at the ETC Ion. I don't know about the availability in the UK yet, but if you're considering the Congo Jr there's no real reason not to at least compare it to the Ion. Also, the Universal Fader Wings for both the Congo Jr and Ion are worth considering if for some reason direct fader control is attracting you to the Leap Frog. There is a price factor - I would guess the Ion is going to be a bit more than the Congo Jr.

You could also look at the ETC Ion. I don't know about the availability in the UK yet, but if you're considering the Congo Jr there's no real reason not to at least compare it to the Ion. Also, the Universal Fader Wings for both the Congo Jr and Ion are worth considering if for some reason direct fader control is attracting you to the Leap Frog. There is a price factor - I would guess the Ion is going to be a bit more than the Congo Jr.

it's also physically bigger, which might be a consideration.

I think they've got one at the the Rose Theatre in Kingston upon thames

You could also look at the ETC Ion. ... I would guess the Ion is going to be a bit more than the Congo Jr.

No it's not. According to the ETC website the ION is 455mm x 462mm whereas the Congo is 455mm x 462mm. To be honest, if you look at them it appears they've used exactly the same case for both. You might be thinking of the EOS which is physically bigger (and costs significantly more).

In my venue at we have a congo senior, I have used the junior in another local venue as well. The congo is intially a shock to the system but when you start to get to grips with the desk its a brilliant piece of kit. It has all the functionally of a theatre desk with a very easy and workable moving light section. ETC offer great support and although the manual seems to be written in swahali the training is readily available if your in mainland UK.

Regards

Andy

You could also look at the ETC Ion. ... I would guess the Ion is going to be a bit more than the Congo Jr.

No it's not. According to the ETC website the ION is 455mm x 462mm whereas the Congo is 455mm x 462mm. To be honest, if you look at them it appears they've used exactly the same case for both. You might be thinking of the EOS which is physically bigger (and costs significantly more).

my mistake - indeed it is the EOS I was thinking of. Senior moment....

Yes - the Congo Jr and Ion do use exactly the same case.

The facepanels (and guts) are different as they have different working styles.

The Universal Wings dock to the sides of either console - you get a bit more functionality if you use the Congo Jr-specific wing on a Junior, but the Universal wings are cheaper.

As to price - the Ion lists slightly cheaper than a Congo Jr, but there's not a lot in it - I suspect that they'll cost the same after any discounts you may or may not get...

The main reason to choose between Congo Jr and Ion is your programming style - Ion is a command-line console, while Congo is a direct-action console.

At risk of going ever so slightly OT here, I notice that on the Congo Jr the number pad is on the right, whereas on the Ion it's on the left. Personally I'm right handed so I'm sticking with the Congo! ;)

At risk of going ever so slightly OT here, I notice that on the Congo Jr the number pad is on the right, whereas on the Ion it's on the left. Personally I'm right handed so I'm sticking with the Congo! ;)

these things are quite important - for example what put me off the ETC Obsession was the specially shaped hand rest for the Go button - for the left hand. I'm also right-handed, so it took a little while to get comfortable with it. Now I know left-handed people must go through this all the time, but with soemthing like that it can't be that difficult to make it work for either hand. After all, we can put people on the moon.....

To solve that debate, you could always buy a Leap Frog and a USB keypad - you can then use the keypad wherever you like (left, right, on your knee?) ;)

On the Frog range can you have a USB hub to say, for instance, have a keyboard and another keypad entry for ease of use?

Yes absolutely, the new frog range is fully USB supportive, so you can add keyboards, mice, littlelites, keypads, trackballs, memory sticks, touchscreens... pretty much anything you'd want to. I've even seen people use their Nokia phone as a storage device for show files. This applies to the Frog 2, Leap Frog 48 & Leap Frog 96.

Archived