PUtting DMX into a dimmer.

drummerrhys

It LOOKS like it might be possible to add a card that would accept SOME FORM of control signal. That card and DMX? Not as it stands, and maybe.

If you were skilled in electronics, it may be possible that the card's on board DMux could be persuaded to give a 0-10v, but only one. Much better to find a 4 channel DMux, try Maris if Velleman don't do one

But clearly not enough to know the difference between a dimmer and a relay. Only last week you were asking a lot of half-a**ed questions about building an OB truck for £1500 and now this.
That's somewhat moody. I was conveying a question from someone who I thought should not be undertaking the project. and baring in mind I only rig and design lights and am barely 17 it's hardly odd I don't know the difference between a dimmer and a relay.

and btw the ob truck I was asking about for a friend with some spare cash was £15000 :o

The equipment pictured in the first post is a Showtec Run-Lite chaser usually used for controlling disco lights (ie 4x Par Cans on a T-Bar) As a result you will not be able to simply bolt a DMX received into the unit... you will need to replace the whole control side of the unit.

Showtec Run LIte Info:

http://www.theelectronicsshop.co.uk/showtec%20run-lite.htm

I would suggest you look into something like a Showtec Multidim or if you are on a budget a Soundlab G018VA. Both of these are ready to run DMX controllable dimmers. B-)

it's hardly odd I don't know the difference between a dimmer and a relay.

That in itself isn't odd, no, but in an earlier post you claimed that you had "plenty of knowledge about lighting". Given that knowing what a dimmer is is pretty fundamental stuff, and you admit that you don't know the difference between a dimmer and a relay, can you blame people for questioning your "plenty of knowledge" claim?

That in itself isn't odd, no, but in an earlier post you claimed that you had "plenty of knowledge about lighting". Given that knowing what a dimmer is is pretty fundamental stuff, and you admit that you don't know the difference between a dimmer and a relay, can you blame people for questioning your "plenty of knowledge" claim?

And now as Chris has pointed out, its not even a dimmer, its a sequencer with no control of brightness at all!!

Using a DMX controlled relay kit (one from velleman) would it be possible to put this into a dimmer to make it controllable?

NO!

There is a dimmer on the site that would appear to have an empty space for DMX but it you could how would it be done?

Need help here:P

The removable plate is a gland plate, for installing a different wiring system, i.e. stuffing glands, conduit, SWA etc

baring in mind I only rig and design lights and am barely 17 it's hardly odd I don't know the difference between a dimmer and a relay.
Sorry may be slightly OT but

...that is why us 17yo's are accused of being arrogant when some of us actually know what we are talking about.

It is interesting as you class yourself as a designer, I would hope anyone designing for one of my shows had this most basic knowledge.

I am very passionate at what I do, and do everything to the best of my ability, however I am also realistic about my abilities.

I would never take on a job above my abilities as it would trash my reputation.

I think you may have to be a little more modest if you are going to get the breaks in the industry you may/may not deserve.

Jamie

Edit: just read Gareth's post making a similar comment.

What you class as ''Plenty of knowledge'' may not be what most do.

As the unit in question is a sequencer, and also not a particularly expensive unit, I would say it's cheaper and far less hassle to buy a cheap DMX dimmer rather than looking at using your existing unit with something else bolted on. Apart from the fact it's probably pretty damn difficult to do, it's going to cost more than a cheap dimmer.

We're all quick to jump on the defensive when our ability is called into question. All I would say is that this forum has a lot of high end industry professionals on it. You've got the answer you were after, it isn't possible to do with that unit. My advice would be to leave it there and not take things any further on this thread. I've dug a few holes myself whilst trying to defend my (lack of) ability!

Sorry to jump in on this one, but I feel that its got to be said.

If you're 17, and claim to know a lot about lighting, as you previously stated, then you should know the difference between a dimmer and a relay.

#1 A dimmer is triac based, and a switch pack is relay based.

#2 A relay switches power, surely you learn't this in basic electronics at school, Im 23 and I certainly did.

#3 You seem to claim that everything you ask is "for a friend", which I feel is hardly believable, since most of the stuff you ask is basic knowledge of the industry.

#4 You can build your own dimmer, I have 3 prototypes flightcased and road worthy that are all working models. They got me out of a hole when equipment was stretched, but again, with the knowledge you claim to have, I would suggest you stick to buying equipment instead of building it.

I know I've asked some silly questions on here before, but I learn't from the answers I received and stopped asking silly questions, went away and learn't a little more about the industry and did a few more courses, then came back, and asked to be pointed in the right direction.

And on a totally off topic route...What is it with teenagers? You go to school but don't seem to learn anything these days!

#1 A dimmer is triac based, and a switch pack is relay based.
Some switch packs are triac based and in fact some solid state relays are as well.

#2 A relay switches power, surely you learn't this in basic electronics at school, Im 23 and I certainly did.
Triacs switch power and dimmers switch power, surely you learnt this in basic electronics...

#3 You seem to claim that everything you ask is "for a friend", which I feel is hardly believable, since most of the stuff you ask is basic knowledge of the industry.
Who cares?

#4 You can build your own dimmer, I have 3 prototypes flightcased and road worthy that are all working models. They got me out of a hole when equipment was stretched, but again, with the knowledge you claim to have, I would suggest you stick to buying equipment instead of building it.
You've got to start somewhere. With enough research and precautions regarding safety, mains voltages etc I can't see it being to disastrous. I take it all yours are fully EMC compliant then. B-)

Joking and pedantry aside it may have been a daft question but I think the OP gets the point!

Sorry but noboddy has been accurate or correct yet.

A demultiplexer or demux is a digital device.

In a digital dimmer, this digital word is used to provide pulse width modulation to vary the conduction of the scr or triac to provide a variable output from zero to full on.

A digital to analogue converter takes a digital word, usualy from a demux in the case of a dmx512 device, to produce an analogue voltage for analogue dimmers tht normally run off a dc control voltage from an analogue desk. What people call a demux is a combined demux and digital to analogue unit. Zero 88 Demux 24

A DMX relay module provides a relay contact output at a nominal value, usually open circuit for a DMX value of 256 or less and makes contact at values of 257 or higher. The relay usually has a common contact, a normally open contact and a normally closed contact. There is sometimes provision for linking to a voltage supply on the DMX relay module for the switched output or can be what is called a "dry contact" where the voltage is supplied by the circuit you connect the relay contact to.

If you use a DMX relay module for control of a dimmer channel, then you would have what is called a switch pack.

The picture of the rear of the dimmer show provision for two canon connectors which would be the dmx512 option available for that series of dimmers. What is not shown is the front of the dimmer which would give more information such as the control signal input.

You need one channel of control for every dimmer channel you want to contro so if you have a 4 channel dimmer rack, you need a 4 channel analogues output demux

Hope this is more informative

Archived