Trying To Make My Own MP3s

Billy Rigby

This may be just a language issue Bill, or it might be the answer - the 'volume control' controls what comes OUT of the PC and you are having problems with what is going IN

Pardon me if I'm wrong P.K., but I think you will also find Windows controls the volume going in. (Sound and audio settings->volume) ???

[E] sorry Gareth got there first.

Not necessarily - if you switch Windows Mixer from Playback to Recording, you're controlling what's coming IN to the PC, not what's going OUT.

You're absolutely right, what I was trying to say (obviously not very clearly) was to ensure that Bill actually HAD switched from Playback to Recording and was, therefore, adjusting the input and not the output.

Sorry for the lack of clarity.

If you really want to do the job properly then buy yourself a digital recorder. There are plenty to choose from here. Get one that has either USB or Firewire connection and you stay in the digital domain with non of the analogue conversion losses. I personally use an old Sony MZ-NH900 mini-disc recorder, which although not professional quality is perfectly good enough for voice and sound effects.

Just discovered AVS4U is the name of the company, not the product. I've found it and will have a look and report back. I also found the very same post on other boards to, so plenty of people working on this one!

It seems a pretty useful product and wants $29 for a years worth of access (I assume this is upgrade access).

It auto detected my sound card fine and playback works - BUT, no record, and all the other editors on this machine work fine with the vista settings.

As I'm running the non-registered version, I wonder if recording is inhibited till you cough up the dosh? Their web site dosn't say this, but it also doesn't menton what the difference between non-registered and registered actually means. So the advice to try the windows audio recorder is the best news you have had so far.

Regarding Windows Mixer - you may like to put a shortcut on your desktop to the Recording Mixer.

The mixer application is sndvol32.exe, in the Windows\system32 folder - it will open as the Playback Mixer by default but if you run it with the "/r" command line switch you will go straight to the Recording Mixer.

So create a couple of shortcuts on the desktop and set the Targets as:

%SystemRoot%\system32\sndvol32.exe - for Playback

and

%SystemRoot%\system32\sndvol32.exe /r - for Recording

David

Edit: A couple of Gotcha's that can cause problems...

Not all volume controls may necessarily be enabled when you open either of the Windows Mixers - if the one you want seems to be missing then select Properties on the Options menu and check which options are enabled in the tick-boxes.

If you have a desktop PC with front audio sockets then it's likely that the front input socket will be a microphone input only - and probably mono. For line input you usually need to use a socket on the rear panel.

Archived