Is NEBOSH Necessary?

tonym

Is there any legislation that says a NEBOSH qualification is necessary to work in the field of Theatre / Events Health & Safety? I haven't found one and have extensive experience but wonder if I'm missing something.

Cheers

Tony Miller

I'm pretty certain that a huge amount of people in our industry have never even heard of NEBOSH. Those that have, or indeed have shelled out the typical amount of over a grand for a"guaranteed pass" may well work for one of the larger organisations or local councils who seem to need certificates for everything.

So far, thank goodness, it hasn't filtered down into the areas I work in.

There is no legislation saying as much but...

NEBOSH is just one of a number of H&S qualifications and is a brand recognised by any number of council or enforcement officers. If you are going to work in event safety it gives you a certain amount of validity with these people. In some eyes it provides 'proof of competence'.

Discuss !!!

It gives a good background to H&S legislation but would disagree with the 'guaranteed pass' comment. It costs a lot and is hard work even though you have to answer questions the NEBOSH way.

Of course actual experience of doing the work you are expected to pass judgement on is the most important thing in my opinion and being able to put those pesky regulations into context.

Cheers

NEBOSH is the National Examination Board in Occupational Safety and Health and while I do think they are a complete waste of oxygen I do have to admit their qualifications are respected by local authorities and big businesses alike. If you're looking to do 'elf and safety for big events it probably is of benefit to your career and employability. Necessary? Probably not, at the moment at least.

Archived