Dry Ice

gav8298

• 1 month later...

cheers for all the advice people, seems dance teacher recently went to a show where everything was "kinda misty" on stage and so they've abandoned the idea of dry ice/low smoke for a mister which is fine by me!

In any case, the auditorium I deal with builds up enormous temperatures and the infrastructure/ventalation of the place renders it pretty difficult to deal with low smoke stuff. however, this I wouldn't have known without all the heads up so nice one! you've saved your own tax money with this!

this is just my opinion my only concern would be the word school appeared in your query. dry ice can be dangerous and I have say that if I was doing a production in a school I would choose to use Co2 cooled smoke. I've used it on countless never really had any problems with heat depends and when I used it the space it flooded was about 8m x 9m which it covered quite nicely

Glaciators and the like are rather unpredictable. Depending on the ambient temperature they can be very OTT, or feeble. They hate pyro, as the filters clog quite quickly and this really impacts on output. They can dribble quite badly, and are quite noisy.

Dance can, saying all that above, look spectacular with controlled use - my dancers immersing themselves before lights up and emerging from the fog. In the past we've used kit with CO2 bottles and the trusty but wet peasupers. Storage is a pain, although many suppliers just bring you a replacement container at regular intervals. It pains me to have paid for lots of empty bags of nothing after the stuffs sublimed. Safety concerns are really just with pellets, buckets and gloves, normally controllable. My worry is with old fashioned peasoupers full of hot water - far iffier. Gas bottles always seem to leak because unions aren't done up enough, or too much and the gaskets get warped for the next cylinder. They always run out during the show, and changing a bottle mid show always sounds like a steam train arriving despite being bled off!

So - looks good, but however you do it, awkward and unpredictable!

I think maybe we're talking about different things here. The new cylinders need purging first, but once connected and up to pressure make a fair bit of noise when you release the union. Ours were pretty good at retaining pressure. Pubs have the same problem when they change cylinders. You seem to have the choice of a moderate long hiss, or a shorter, louder one. Some systems run at 50psi-ish, but others are much, much higher.

Archived