Self supporting 18m x 7m Truss

How exactly do you intend to hang anything from the truss?

Just had a quick look at the above mention ProLyte truss, and with the H30D and it goes to a maximum of 16m on the Tech Spec. It also states that a maximum UDL of 14.8kg/m with a deflection of 228mm.

Personally, this is ridiculous, and anything above this isn't going to be safe at all...

Just had a quick look at the above mention ProLyte truss

Who mentioned ProLyte? Did I miss something?

The above mentioned 52cm Supertruss will do a maximum span of over 24m, and at 18m span takes over a tonne UDL (at about 100mm deflection). Sleeve blocks are available, as its often used as part of a ground support system.

This Supertruss has a maximum span of just over 30m, and is also often used as part of ground support systems with sleeve blocks available as standard.

18m is quite a long span, but not so long that it can't be done with fairly standard, readily available kit.

Sean

x

Just had a quick look at the above mention ProLyte truss

Who mentioned ProLyte? Did I miss something?

The above mentioned 52cm Supertruss will do a maximum span of over 24m, and at 18m span takes over a tonne UDL (at about 100mm deflection). Sleeve blocks are available, as its often used as part of a ground support system.

This Supertruss has a maximum span of just over 30m, and is also often used as part of ground support systems with sleeve blocks available as standard.

18m is quite a long span, but not so long that it can't be done with fairly standard, readily available kit.

Sean

x

Prolyte S52 will cope with these loadings easily @20m span gives you a UDL of 63kg/m ,S36R also can be used with a UDL of 39.3 kg/m obvoiusly these figures will improve with the few points that you intend to rig .All of this would be raised using Prolyte ST or MPT towers .

Regards

Paul

Hmmm...

Is no-one else a bit concerned that this 'design' is going a bit OTT?

This event is inside a gallery - art gallery?

Regular standard sized trus is going to look possibly out of sorts with the surroundings anyway, but sticking up something that's almost 2 ft square along it's length is (IMHO) going to look monstrous!

And it's going to increase the hire cost significantly I suspect...

OK - yes - several people have said "It CAN be done" but what the OP should be asking this designer is "Are you sure you want it like this because....."

Hmmm... ™

This event is inside a gallery - art gallery?

Regular standard sized trus is going to look possibly out of sorts with the surroundings anyway, but sticking up something that's almost 2 ft square along it's length is (IMHO) going to look monstrous!

And it's going to increase the hire cost significantly I suspect...

OK - yes - several people have said "It CAN be done" but what the OP should be asking this designer is "Are you sure you want it like this because....."

believe me... I have made these points to the designer. They are trying to replicate a show/contempory art show that was staged somewhere in the Netherlands... in a space with numerous flying suspension points. They are adamant that they don't want centre support legs, because they would come down in the centre of the 'art'....

Don't get me started...

No mate. This being a technical forum rather than an artsy fartsy design forum, its the technical feasibility that's being discussed.

... art gallery? ... ... is (IMHO) going to look monstrous! ...

What, so you're saying truss can't be art? <sniff> :pissedoff:

No mate. This being a technical forum rather than an artsy fartsy design forum, its the technical feasibility that's being discussed.

** laughs out loud ** :pissedoff:

I meant OTT for what the job really needs - practically...

(Don't forget the OP has to get the stuff up, which with a heavier truss COULD mean extra bodies to carry and erect it... More wonga from the client...

... art gallery? ... ... is (IMHO) going to look monstrous! ...

What, so you're saying truss can't be art? <sniff> ;)

Hmmm...

DON'T get me started on the whole 'What is/isn't art' trip again...............!!!

Hi,

I'm looking for some rigging advice if poss please!

I've been asked by someone to construct a ground supported "box" truss which has two sides of 18m spans, and 2 sides 7m span with a centre 18m span. approx 3.5/4m high.

The truss needs to be able to support approx 45 x 1k fresnels evenly distributed plus TRS. I think the self-weight of the truss might be more of an issue.

Does anyone have any reccomendations on appropriate Truss to use which is strong enough to have an 18m span only supported by an upright at either end?

Also, this is gonna weigh a lot... so if anyone has any suggestions on how to get the structure 4 m in the air, I'd be very grateful.

The venue is an art gallery, so not particularly well technically equiped, and apparently has no flying points...

Thanks!

HI,

I would use Thomas Super truss 20.5 inch by 20.5 inch as it will span 18m and take just under 2.5 tonnes on that size span. you could use self climbing towers with chain hoists to raise the box but that will look abit ugly or use genie super lifts to lift the box and then put truss legs in the corners - cheaper looks better for your venue but takes longer and needs more people. Both methods will need a large base plate. You will have to check the weight loading on the floor as you might exceed it, this is a question I you should ask the venue. All the big rigging companies can supply Thomas super truss or similar.

hi there,

We are a company called wolf structures and can help you with this im sure.

We are based in Dorset, but if you contact us either through the contacts here www.wolf-events.com or through jon @ wolf-events.com and we can discuss your needs.

many thanks

jon

beamwalker,

I think you might have confused pounds with kilos. The actual UDL on a 18m span in KILOS is 1133kgs with a 112mm deflection.

http://www.jamesthomas.co.uk/jte/trussing/superTruss52.html

TM

No I was assuming the 45 lights would be roughly evenly distributed not all in the centre as a point load, either way unless the lights are made of lead I think super truss would be strong enough even if you put all the lights and and the dimmer in the centre. If I was lighting the job I would use silver truss and use par cans or something or "tone" the truss to make it more of a feature than a eye saw

No I was assuming the 45 lights would be roughly evenly distributed not all in the centre as a point load

In your post earlier you said an 18m span would "take just under 2.5tonnes", what trussmonkey is saying to you is that the UDL at 18m is actually 2498lbs. (ie: just under 2500 lbs, not kilos). I agree with him that it seems you've mixed up the UDL in kilos with that in pounds.

Archived