• Royal Opera House
    • Collisseum
    • Palladium
    • Lyceum
    • Victoria Apollo
    • Apollo
    • Arts
    • Gielguid

I understood from my old carpentry tutor at college that the Coli had the biggest stage in London - 70 ft from back wall to iron. - he had been master carpenter there in its time as a variety house, pre eno. however, I heard the story 20 yrs ago, and it was probably 20yrs before that that he had worked there, so things may have changed.

I can certainly vouch for the fact that when you walk onto the stage at ROH, it feels like you could get more simultaneous football matches than on Hackney Marshes. In fact I didn't realise I was on stage until I noticed some tiny red seats in the distance through a huge arch .......

so, given the number of factors involved, we need a formula to derive one single number.... may I suggest

Size of theatre = AxB [snip]

That makes our theatre infinitely large, as we don't have any counterweight sets.

If you count hemps, then the Riley varies from 188 to 141.

(150 to 400 capacity,, 3 hemp sets, 1 to 3 lighting crew, and 5 to 10 box office volunteer attractiveness)

I think the formula needs adjusting!

Archived