radio mic frequencies, again

timtheenchanteruk

The American situation is far worse than the UK. Other than broadcasters NO radio mic users have had any legal standing. Even big users like Broadway shows have been technically breaking the law...the FCC has just turned a blind eye if they don't interfere with any legal users. The spectrum there is so crowded that it's quite normal to use a spectrum analyser and find space in the guard bands between TV channels...a whole vacant channel would have been a luxury.

I won't hold my breath for a free frequency change.

Bob

The other thing about the American situation is that as they are all law breakers they've not paid any licence fees, unlike in the UK, so the idea of paying for spectrum would never occur to the average redio mic user. In the UK the debate was largely about how many small paying users that are not part of a large organisation could be represented equally in the context of folks with single big budgets.

The other thing about the American situation is that as they are all law breakers they've not paid any licence fees, unlike in the UK, so the idea of paying for spectrum would never occur to the average redio mic user.

Well there's the rub... many UK users have bought radio equipment that can be used legally - even if large numbers were either ignorant about the licence requirements or chose to ignore them. It's also galling to have Ofcom listen to PMSE users, state that they would protect their usage but then say, "we've heard of a better idea - let's push for that instead".

Simon

• 2 years later...

Dear all,

I'm sorry to resurrect a very old topic, but I installed two Sennheiser EW100 G2 tie-clip mic systems into a church in June 2009, with frequencies somewhere around 625.000 - 630.000 (I apologise for not knowing the exact tuning, but the systems are in London whilst I am in Aberystwyth!). The church have got in touch with me about this article saying they are worried that their systems are going to become obsolete.

Is this going to go ahead (as indeed it looks like it is)? Can I retune these systems to channel 38 (as suggested by the article)? If not, do I need to return them to the manufacturer?

Many thanks,

Will

Will, hi

I suggest you go back and search for the several MUCH more recent topics on the subject of radio mic frequencies.

But, in short, it would appear you have some odd frequencies there...

CH 69 - the one that's being phased out for us - uses the range 855.400 - 856.875 MHz

CH 38 - where many are moving to - uses 606.5 to 613.5 MHz. This wasn't available, I believe, to many areas until recently...

So I'm not quite sure where your frequencies came from... Did you buy these mics from abroad?

Does the church have a licence to operate mics on the frequencies that they do? I suspect not, otherwise they WOULD have had their own communications from JFMG and OFCOM about the shift, and the offer to subsidise replacement gear - IF they'd had a licence during the appropriate time.

.... and the offer to subsidise replacement gear - IF they'd had a licence during the appropriate time.

.... and if they didn't have a licence then no subsidy! OFCOM's payback time for all those unlicensed systems out there.

Archived