Multipin Connectors

WhiskyFudge

If I use Harting connectors, is it possible for me (or any other future owner of this) to hire compatible extensions within the UK? Will using the 72DD connector enable this?

Yes - but make sure you make yours with the correct pin-out (see VDC catalogue or website for details). 72 pin version is most common (24 channels, frequently wired 20+4 on the break-outs).

I don't think the VDC website mentions a pinout for Harting connectors. Am I searching for the wrong thing?

It's a bit hidden away, but is found here: http://www.vdctrading.com/content.asp?SubsectionID=61

You're looking for the HD72.

Pete

Can you wire up a normal multicore cable to a multipin?

Generally yes, there are very few that are too thick to do this. As a rule there is no difference, it simply IS normal multicore cable.

Also, surely the 108pin are more popular no? They certainly are up north.

• 2 weeks later...

So is it possible to buy a normal stage box with cable already attached and to put a multi-pin connector in?

So you have the cable say, going to FOH (or monitor console, depending on length) and having the multipin act as a split?

Does that make sense? :unsure:

So is it possible to buy a normal stage box with cable already attached and to put a multi-pin connector in?

It's possible, but you may have to machine the cut out for the multipin with the connectors and cable in place - unless you unsolder the whole stagebox. This depends upon whether the connector plate is detachable or whether they fit onto the 'solid' stagebox with just a screw on base for access.

You will also have the joy of retrospectively soldering a new set of cables onto the existing XLRs...

I've done it once and wouldn't do it again.

I was able to leave the XLR's alone and just cut the cable. Then Then I just soldered the chassis connector and the cable end.

If you have the right tooling and the time it can be done well, but otherwise It's not worth it. If it's a pro multi and comes fully tested you would of course invalidate the manufacturers work by modifying it like this.

.........a normal stage box with cable already attached and to put a multi-pin connector in?

......... having the multipin act as a split?

I've done this too. I think it would have been quicker to start from scratch though - getting a second set of wires into the existing XLRs was a pain in the ####.

Once done though, the end result was a nice (15m - 24+8) multi attached to the box which could be used for small gigs, as a sub box, or a long multicore could be attached giving us a 15m monitor tail.

• 2 months later...
By the way - just a thought, if you had monitor splits on the stage box, if you sent phantom to a mic, wouldn't you be sending it to the monitor desk too?

Yes, but it isn't usually a problem. Phantom from another desk wont pass into the preamp due to the blocking capacitors, and shouldn't affect the desk's psu due to the pair of 6.8k current limiting resistors between pins 2&3 and the +48V rail.

By the way - just a thought, if you had monitor splits on the stage box, if you sent phantom to a mic, wouldn't you be sending it to the monitor desk too?

As mentioned this isnt a problem, only get issues if you send phantom from both desks at the same time, I know several monitor desks with thier phantom supplies deliberatly broken to prevent this

As mentioned this isnt a problem, only get issues if you send phantom from both desks at the same time, I know several monitor desks with thier phantom supplies deliberatly broken to prevent this

Although there can be some issues with changed impedance (the current limiting resistors will be parallelled) most manufacturers will design their desks so that phantom from both FOH and monitors is not a problem.

Having said that, from an organisational viewpoint it's probably better for monitors to handle phantom, since there is a more direct line of communication between the desk operator and the guy putting out mics, and you could argue that the cable path is a bit shorter too...

Simon

Okay that seems cool then.

So if I was to adapt an existing multicore, could I just take say hot, cold and shield and slave them onto the corresponding pins on the multipin?

Also, what could I use to make the hole for the plug of the multipin connector?

Also, what could I use to make the hole for the plug of the multipin connector?

A sheet metal punch (such as the Qmax range, available from good ironmongers (good range, may have to order in) and RS/CPC (usually limited range)) will do the trick nicely. They require you to drill a hole where the centre of the conector will be (up to 12mm for very big holes), assemble the punch on either side of this hole and then either using an AJ or Allen key, wind the punch together. A clean round hole will result.

A hole saw will result in a mess.

• 1 year later...
I've acquired a length of Sommer Mistral MCF24 cable and would like to make it into a multicore. I have been successfully soldering XLRs, Speakons etc on and off for the last few years, and have decided that I would like to make my multicore with multipin connectors. Apart from transport being easier (OK, I know it's not a massive consideration with 24 channels...) it means that I can make my system longer or shorter when I want to in the future.

I have experienced the VDM Circular ones, and they are generally very nice, albeit expensive, and I don't require their level of durability. I have experienced EDACs, and I concur with what appears to have been the general consensus here; they are rubbish. Socapex/Ceep connectors don't have enough conductors. I think I have narrowed it down to Harting Connectors.

If I use Harting connectors, is it possible for me (or any other future owner of this) to hire compatible extensions within the UK? Will using the 72DD connector enable this? Can anyone who's familiar with the Harting Connectors tell me what parts I will need? (I think it's an insert, pins, a hood and a protector for each cable end).

Finally, the big question: Solder or Crimp? I'm happy to spend ages soldering it if it means I save money on a tool.

I finally got round to thinking a bit more about the multicore I've been gathering parts for over the last 18 months. I found a cheap supplier for the Harting contacts and so I paid £5.50 for 100 rather than the list of about 55p each.

The only other parts I need now are the connector hoods, inserts and glands. My question is, should I be looking to use the Han 72 DD or the Han 108 DD to make it compatible with other systems? It's going to be a 16+8 multi (A little strange I know, but my current desk is a Spirit Racpac).

Archived