microphone stands

crox

Most of the K&M ones I have do come from Thomann. If you're buying alot of them, 10 of them should make you eligible for free delivery anyway. Even so, delivery to the UK is only €10 now not €15. It may of course be €15 to Sweden, where Patrick is from.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Mic stand tip of the day, always keep a pair of pliers in the mic stand flightcase. So when people who appear to have super human strength tighten things up you can undo them again. A pair in the mic clip box helps too.

Well said! a spare pair is always good to have just for complete overkill! <_<

As for stands, Long Like: K&M

Cheap Budget: Studio Spares

For some reason I always have preferred the studio spares (but probably because we only have a few K&M ones that are very old) but defiantly K&M if you can afford them.

HTH

Tom

I much prefer the K&M with the tommy bar (for the reasons jamesperrett states).......it's annoying when the balls fall off, so always keep spare balls to screw back on! (fnarrrr fnarrrr snick)

Does anyone else find the tommy bar really useful for hooking a coil of XLR cable over when the stand is not on stage? Nice and neat.

I much prefer the K&M with the tommy bar (for the reasons jamesperrett states).......it's annoying when the balls fall off, so always keep spare balls to screw back on! (fnarrrr fnarrrr snick)

Does anyone else find the tommy bar really useful for hooking a coil of XLR cable over when the stand is not on stage? Nice and neat.

Me! and also helps because a performer sees that and knows he/she needs to UN TIGHTEN it before they adjust the stand! <_<

Me! and also helps because a performer sees that and knows he/she needs to UN TIGHTEN it before they adjust the stand! ;)

You obviously work with cleverer performers than me! <_<

As for stands, Long Like: K&M

Cheap Budget: Studio Spares

I agree completely. I bought a Studiospares stand as it was so cheap and thought it would probably be a bit flimsy, but it is actually quite sturdy. The telescopic boom is the only bit I'm unsure of as it doesn't seem great, but for £10 you can't complain.

K&M for heavy frequent use though.

Damon

I agree completely. I bought a Studiospares stand as it was so cheap and thought it would probably be a bit flimsy, but it is actually quite sturdy. The telescopic boom is the only bit I'm unsure of as it doesn't seem great, but for £10 you can't complain.

K&M for heavy frequent use though.

Damon

Yep, I really like the studiospares stands, they are pretty damm good, however there not a patch on the K&M's. Fair enough there a 3rd of the price and they are a very sturdy and perfectly suitable stand for places like schools and churches, however they just dont stand up (sorry!) to the rigours of touring. Dont get me wrong I love the studiospares stands, I now have 6 of them and I think there awesom for the price, but they sure as hell aint no beyer or K&M when it comes to build quality.

As for the pliars, I genrally find its one of the worst ideas on mic stands, it just tears the plastic knobs apart and leaves sharp nasy burs on metal, an adjustable or a wingnut spanner if you can find one that fit is a much better bet.

Rich

Thanks

I will go try find one that fits and try that out. After all no harm in carrying an extra tool to a gig right? and yeps very cleaver performers, if only the rest of the technicians were as clever! <_<

Tom

Slightly off topic but still on mic stands and does have some relevance to original post...

Just out of interest, we were recently doing a concert and had a single boom mic stand (Adam Hall) and the lead guitarist pointed out that the boom wasn't long enough to reach over his pedal board. He then mentioned that only a double boom would reach that far. We managed to find a double boom K&M but upon closer inspection we discovered the double boom was exactly the same as the Adam Hall stand. I initially put it down to the guitarist not knowing what he was talking about and quickly forgot about it.

Then last week I spotted a Beyer GST500 double boom and as I looked at it I convinced it was 4 inches or so longer than a standard boom or K&M Boom.

As we're about to buy a dozen or so new mic stands my question is...

Are the K&M and Beyer Double booms the same length?

Continuing with the microphone stand theme, can anyone tell me where I can get a replacement part for a Stagg mic stand. The part I need is called a "Swivel head with eye" by some microphone stand manufacturers and it screws onto the top of the vertical stand attaching the boom arm. I have looked on Stagg's Website but I can’t see any contact information. If anyone can give me the contact details for Stagg that would be very helpfull.

Thank you.

David

Archived