Creating a video with Time Lapse photography.

pauldub

The best way to do what you need is to use a stills camera like a Canon 30D, with its timing remote, and a massive memory card (8Gb +), this way you'll be able to set perfect exposure, and be able to in record in resolutions above HiDef, and then create a movie by combining the stills you have taken which is very easy to do in AfterEffects.

The best way to do what you need is to use a stills camera like a Canon 30D, with its timing remote, and a massive memory card (8Gb +), this way you'll be able to set perfect exposure, and be able to in record in resolutions above HiDef, and then create a movie by combining the stills you have taken which is very easy to do in AfterEffects.

I'm not sure if you can do it with the 30D but I know that with the 20D you can connect it to a computer and It will use the computer as its 'memory card' i.e. it transfers the photos to the computer when you take them.

I created one simply using the camera on my macbook and Imovie HD which was bundled with the machine. The results were pretty good. Very easy to edit and you could adjust all the settings and timings. there is one of the ones I did

(the video doesn't get interesting untill about 2min 30sec)

HTH

AndyJones

The OP has a high end consumer camcorder - costing around £1600 ish, and while it has lots of features, it doesn't have timelapse (or in Sony speak - interval recorder)

The OP has not expressed an interest in shooting stills, and doing it this way is also a pain in the bum to recompile into video.

If you have invested money in a product like this, then in my humble view, why not just buy some decent software to do what you want?

The OP has not expressed an interest in shooting stills, and doing it this way is also a pain in the bum to recompile into video.

While I realise that it's not for everyone, the free software MPlayer offers people who are happy working on the command line the option to combine a number of still images into a movie with a single (admittedly slightly long) command.

This section of the online documentation gives an example of how to do it - by reducing the fps setting from 25 in the example to a lower value, the number of still images required can be reduced without reducing the playing time, for example.

• 2 weeks later...

hi there

iWeb for mac has a built in way of capturing time lapse when you import. You can use your built in isight if you have it or an external camera. Alternatively, GAWKER (google it) is a free software that lets you capture from multiple sources at the same time. Both are for Mac only.

Hope this helps

Oli

Archived