Followspots =)

101wilsy

I don't know these lanterns at all, but would expect the 575 HMI to be plenty bright enough for school or other small/medium stage at 20m. A 1200 would be over-kill; think 'bright' in a 1500/2000 seat hall.

I use 400W HTI lamped followspots at 16m and they are fine.

One thing worth pointing out, which probably won't even affect the OP in a schools environment, is that the Moon 575 spots take dichroic colours and don't as far as I've ever been able to tell have a gel magazine, so if you want to colour up your spot/s with something other than the supplied dichroics it'll be A) expensive or B) a bodge with blacktak and colour over the front of the unit. There is a changer for the Halogen version but it makes no mention of whether you can use it on the Discharge ones.

HTH. Stu.

heya guys,

first id like to say thanks for all the help you have given to me on this post!!

and I think we are going to go for the 575 Discharge....

and someone who said 250w DISCHARGE earlier... I didn't say discharge.... well I dont think so anyways...

and I think the 575 will do a good throw with a bright circle... will suggest it next time im in.

many thanks

jack

and it's ridiculously un-bright (if that's a word).

I think the word you're looking for is 'dim'. :)

Now, knowing my luck, somebody will probably tell me that I'm wrong! :P

(Crosses his fingers for good luck so as to not be humiliated)

You mentioned 250W and HMI - so we kind of guessed you had discharge sources available, as in the HMI.

ermm the 250w Scanners are all Halogen normal lamps and the Lamps in the Oby 3s are MSD - although I am yet to figure out what that stands for - breifing on lamptypes anyone? haha

Thank You for all your help!!

Jacl

Metal Halide Discharge. It wouldn't have taken you very long to find out - in fact, probably less time than typing the post you made here?

why the initials MSD if it comes out as MHD?

and im a very fast typer so doesn't make much difference to me =)

Jack

Just different kinds of disharge lamp - there are quite a few different varieties, some very similar, others somewhat different. MSR stands for Medium Source Rare Earth. Rare earth elements (such as Dysprosium and Holmium) are added to metal halide to give the lamp a more continuous spectrum. The D in MSD really stands for Medium Source Daylight. (as in colour temperature) The MSD lamp has basically the same composition and the same color temperature as the MSR lamp, but it has a lower light output and longer life.

How about one of these - cheap cheerful, but it sounds like it won't get much use - worth a look - and it has zoom optics.

Here is the info

http://images4.thomann.de/pics/prod/168342.jpg

from my experience. the DTS Moon FS isn't one that I would advice.

reason; I used it last year, somewhere around October. to follow spot for a opera (yuk). the FS is very noisy. if I was too close to it then I couldn't hear my cans. to make things worse we had two going.

thankfully it was while we had started to build the theaters new raked floor so we had cement and iron blocking us from the audience.

so unless you will be spotting from a quite separate area from the audience. I would advice not to get this.

(the FS also doesn't fade. so the shutter looks rather unprofessional)

how about using a 'pimp'd up' profile? its what we've decided to do. it also means you can do more stuff with it.

Could you explain about it not fading. We had two of these through our venue, and while I didn't personally use them they certainly faded. I'd have noticed, I'm sure if there was a problem. I did stand next to them and didn't notice an abnormal amount of fan noise?

Archived