freelance lighting programming

Joe Bleasdale

One thing does strike me. 10 years ago, the concept of a 'programmer' was still new, and the 500 series popular. Now, programmers working with LDs is more common, but the desks are on their way out. I doubt there will be any more software development for what is now sadly an obsolete product. My point is that becoming a programmer may well be a good career goal, but not on a Strand. By the time you are good, and truly worth paying, nobody wil be using them any longer. Rather like training to be a rural railway engineer just before Doctor Beeching came along?

One thing does strike me. 10 years ago, the concept of a 'programmer' was still new, and the 500 series popular.

Frankly, The OP probably has a good career plan - these days a programmer often earns more than an LD (TV and larger theatre productions), doesn't need to slave and sweat over a plan (oh, I mean on WYSIWYG) for days; doesn't need to attend tedius production meetings and sit through 2 hours of prop talk; they turn up, flick the on-switch, sit back and think of England!!!

A good operator is worth their weight in gold; and will contribute to the look of the show, so to use a "Hot fuzz" quote - it's all for the greater good. However, chances are these guys have spent years as a humble sparkie, rigger, follow-spot operator before being allowed to press any buttons and twirl the occasional wheel...... so follow the advice above and get some electrical qualifications under your belt then get a job for at the BBC! hehehehe

Archived