Amdram nightmare

poornamechoice

I "Do the lights" for a very small AmDram group in North Yorkshire. The last experience I had with lights was at school, and you'll know how long ago that was if I tell you we had rheostat dimmers!

Prior to my involvement all they had were eight PAR 64s on two stands and a four way dimmer. We have very little money in our group so I have gradually got some kit together by buying SH from ebay. I have made mistakes and got some rubbish but also some bargains.

We now have some reasonable kit (not quite in the right mix but its getting better):

7 Coemar Profile 1.2kW :(

8 Strand Cantata Profiles ;)

1 Coemar Tratto PC 650W :)

12 Coemar Teato Freznel 650W & 1kW :unsure:

6 Strand Prelude PC 650W :)

2 Strand Quartet Freznel 650W :)

2 Strand Cadenza Profile 2kW :huh:

2 SIL 30 Profiles 1kW :(

1 Strand Minim Fresnel 500W :blink:

4 PAR 64s 500W :)

12 Short nose PAR64s 500W

12 PAR 36s

6 Gobo Rotators :)

2 Strand ACT6 Dimmers 6x10A and DMX to D54 in a distro with 63A inlet and socapex out :blink:

1 Pulsar Dimmer 12x5A socapex out :)

2 5' IWBs

Mirror ball

Smoke machine

6 lengths of Socapex

Various lengths of cable, socapex fan in/outs, hook clamps, gel, barn doors, safeties etc.

A cheap (and not good) 12 way desk and a very good "PC Stage" DMX dongle and software for a laptop which integrates sound and light playback so I can run everything as a one man show.

Total cost about £4,000 over two years

We don't have our own stage so have to hire a village hall and can only put up the kit 10 days before the show. There are no bars so we have invested in some SH Astralite to fix all our lanterns up.

If anyone in the AmDram world is close and wants to borrow any kit it is available for a pint or two!

I have changed all the lanterns to 16A fittings and now have a quite large collection of 15A plugs and sockets looking for a good home.

Any suggestions for improvements please let me know.

John

Archived