Ohmage - Technical Term

saturnx21

In frequency based resistance cases, I believe the proper term is Reactance, normally identified by X (At least for Capacitors and Inductors anyway)

you are correct, but Impedance is the term that covers both Reactance and Resistance.

Technically voltage and wattage are slang;

Voltage should be potential difference.

Wattage should be power.

Amperage (current) and ohmage (impedance, resistance, reactance) are such awkward constructions that I don't use them, I use wattage in conversation but wouldn't in a written work.

I find it reasonable to use voltage as potential difference is a mouthful; conversely amperage is far harder to say than current.

I'm Taught in A Level Electronics that:

Resistance for DC Current

and

Impedance for AC Current

I fail to see what's wrong using Impedance for DC Current. Impedance, I've always found to be a catch all for Resistance and Reactance. Ohmage the same,

although not being a very good word, like Voltage and Wattage, but it's still valid.

Never Ohmage or Ampage(Current)

I'm sure the Ohm's Law wasnt intended to say Voltage = Ampage * Ohmage

<pedant>I was taught it as Ohms Rule as it's only true for a small group of items (Ohmic devices). </pedant> And I doubt Mr Ohm would've had the audacity to put his own name in his rule, so I tend to agree that Ohmage is a bit of a dodgy word, but we all still know what you're on about, so there's no need to get too bothered about it!

Archived