AMX to DMX assistance

zaleave

Well, Basiclly, We're upgrading to DMX, and I want to be able to control my 2 analog dimmer packs (Strand Tempus) from the new DMX controller. We're getting a set of moving mirrors and we've already got a bar's worth of lights on another Analog and DMX Zero88 Pack, and this is why I want to upgrade to DMX. Also, to make things worse, were on rather a tight budget and our maximum spend is around £200 at the moment.

Sorry if what ive said above is a bit confusing.

Alex :)

The Botex ME72 will do what you want, for just over half your budget.

Well, Basiclly, We're upgrading to DMX, and I want to be able to control my 2 analog dimmer packs (Strand Tempus) from the new DMX controller. We're getting a set of moving mirrors and we've already got a bar's worth of lights on another Analog and DMX Zero88 Pack, and this is why I want to upgrade to DMX. Also, to make things worse, were on rather a tight budget and our maximum spend is around £200 at the moment.

Sorry if what ive said above is a bit confusing.

The Botex ME72 will do what you want, for just over half your budget.

Perfect, thanks for that boatman and Modge.

• 5 months later...
Sorry to dig up this topic, but I have essentially the same question. I just got stuck with a project where I need to control a rack of 96 dimmers from 1987 (it came with the Strand Lightboard M, I'm not sure of the exact dimmer model numbers) with a DMX board. As far as I can tell, it uses a standard AMX192 interface. The Botex ME72 referenced above looks like it only can work with 72 dimmers, but I need 96. I don't have much experience in this area, I'm more of a sound and scenery guy, so any help is very much appreciated! My budget is capped at an absolute maximum of 250 USD for this item.

Zaleave was actually looking for something to control some dimmers made by the manufacturer AMX, not dimmers using the AMX protocol; in the Phoenixtech's case, they were analogue dimmers, so the Botex demux was recommended.

What you need in this case is a DMX to AMX converter. New, these aren't cheap. There are some to be had second hand... but they still come in at more than your $250, I'm afraid..

http://www.gearsourceeurope.com/products.c.../pkid/1611.html

...which is something like $430. There may be others out there, I've just gone and pulled out the first second hand one I came across.

The first one appears to be a DMX to analogue converter (something like 0-10v, probably). Which direction it goes in, I'm not sure. However, it's not what you need. AMX was a multiplexed protocol, outputting on a single connector for 192 channels on a single 4-pin XLR - this is what you've got on your dimmers, is it?

The second one does, as you said, seem to be AMX to DMX, at least from the title. I guess there's no harm in contacting the seller to confirm this, though.

Sorry, but I did think I should possibly interject, despite the slight off-topicness.

I'm pretty sure house lights should never be controlled solely by DMX, much in the same way as automation and pyros. If in the event of an evacuation, such as a fire alarm, if DMX fails, then you could potentially leave your audience in a dangerous position, not to mention a hefty H&S inquiry. Also, any crosstalk over DMX could rather embarrassingly bring up your house LX, which will inevitably be during that crucial blackout. A separate failsafe system of independant house light control alongside DMX control is probably the safest alternative.

Just a thought.

Archived