How is your experience with SGM GIOTTO 400 spot???

tomy364

Every time I've seen them I've been impressed with how punchy they are - I'd say MUCH brighter than a mac 250, as do the SGM stats, but really you'd expect that with the lamp difference. The wide beam angle at the lens looks rather nice onstage too, if you're doing bands and such.

Get them demo'd, that's a lot of money to be spending and you should be able to get a look at the things before you buy.

Only used them a couple of times... and frankly wasn't too impressed. They were being used along with some Mac250 Entours and the Mac's seemed considerably brighter.

If that is the case im amazed, I know the units very well, probably better than most as I worked for the UK distributor for years, the units 400W so if you think the 250s are much brighter then the Giottos you used were probably badly looked after and dirty with old lamps...

The units are very reliable and bright, but as said get a demo, play with them and make up your mind on what you see. Siyan seem to love them and tour them constantly adn they put up with the abuse of a tour as well as any light out there.

Have used them quite a bit on one-offs and tours. Generally very reliable and easy to look after.

Only downside I would say is that the cases can be a little bit brittle - especially the vented areas around the back end. The menu system does also take a little getting used to as it's not as intuitive as other units.

I'm kind of surprised by Andrew's comments - I'd say all the Giotto range are very punchy.

I like the build design. You see it and you know it's a Giotto, even if it's a fixture not as well known as Martin's Fleet. I'm sure they have 2 gobo wheels as well - one with glass or litho type.

We also like the build design of giotto 400 and from sgm we are use palco 3&5 and they are great units. Maybe we have expect a little more from palco 5 but they are great looking units and have good light output.

For Giotto spot 400 some people has told us that is not reliable and that Robe 575AT is better units and very reliable.

Could you comment that hypothesis???

thnx

There are two models of the SGM spot. the basic one and the CMY color mixing one. If your talking about the CMY version then I have used this extensively and would recommend it to anyone. as with any fixture it need proper maintenance but it is considerably brighter/better than the mac 250, I would even go as far as saying it gives the mac 700 and 2k a run for the money but then I have never been a fan of martin products. The SGM optics are far superior to anything else in the price range and you do get a lot of light for the cash full color mixing, 2 rotating gobo wheels, CTO wheel, prism, variable frost, animation wheel. I also recently demo'd it next to a SGM 700 Synthesis and didn't actually see a massive difference in brightness when in a color.

Archived