Micing Glasses......

ceecrb1

Ok on tuesday I have to mic up 14 wine glasses in a teater for a "modern" music festival.

thats as much information as I have and as much as I can get from my client.

All I can assume is its wine glasses with water and the old finger on the rim thing that will be done..

What I CANT think of is what mics I could use and how for this?!

I´m thinking I´m going to need something pretty general and non-specific, but mostly because I dont know what I´m getting into (dont you just LOVE these gigs?!).

Ideas?!

Hi

For that brief I would take along 3-5 AKG C1000 or similar along with both small table top and standard stands.

Let's be real, if the job requires any more than that then the performer is at fault for not providing details!

btw I would assume hitting the glasses, not rimming them. Could be either, or both!

Sounds interesting!

Andy

What have you got available?

I'd suggest small diaphram condensors and start from there

HAHA now theres the point.

NOWT.

Our warehouse is severly lacking in mics.

This however does make it more interesting as I can tecnically hire anything I can find in the city!

Hitting the glasses... obvious but I hadnt thought of that!! good point!

EDIT: Even though its 1.40 am here.. the office girl just text me saying shes already hired the mics..... now I´m worried... god knows what shes got me! oh well.. will find out on monday!

I'd be miking at is if it's a large acoustic/percussion instrument due to the size of the number of glasses in an area. Expect high frequencies because it's glass, so small diaphragms, or condensers.

I'd proba put a boundary/PZM nearby & do an X/Y with some small condensers to capture the sense of space.

Boundary mics strike me as obvious for this. I've no idea why, mind!

Sounds fine if the glasses are on the floor, but as glasses don't make an awful lot of noise, maybe a few cardioids would be better. For things like this, probably best to treat in a way similar to other large instruments - pianos, marimbas, glocks etc. Some wide-ish cardioids, certainly condensers, would be my starting point. Visual impact may also be important, after all, a clutch of mics on stands will hide most of the glasswear.

My own personal thoughts are that I'd use almost anything with the exception of a C1000, which I'd only ever use if it was the very last mic in the box. I know many people like them, but I'm not one of them!

I´ll post tomorrow morning what the girl has ordered me...

I´ve also found out... they wont be hitting OR rimming (hehe rimming...) the glasses..... wait for this, you´ll love it.....

They will be.. pouring water into the glasses.....

its a precussion festival.. each night weirder than the previous....

Truth is with an average audience of 40 punters (ie friends&family).. I´m not loosing too much sleep over it.... but its nice to stop and think incase the next time its a wine glass rim job (teehehehehe) at glastonbury!!

Seems to me that this form of "percussion" isn't going to the the loudest sound in the world?!

Also I'd be a bit wary of having mic/mics on table top stands, unless their waterproof!

Is it possible that the performer could wear a lav instead?

As the audience is not that large and I would presume this is a solo performance?, background noise should be minimal and saves having soggy mics!

Really interesting this, let us know how you get on.

B-)

John Denim.

Rimming.......hehe. (I laughed too)

Sounds like you might need the reinforcement though! I'd reach for the AKG Se300/CK91s from our mic box, but that's just because it's what we have condenser wise. The C1000 would stay in the box though unless I needed another mic...

Also I'd be a bit wary of having mic/mics on table top stands, unless their waterproof!

That was my main concern as soon as I passed the point where it was discovered they'd be pouring water into glasses... without the water concern I'd say small diaphragm, fairly close to where the water was being poured in. CK91's are great IMO, but a bit too great for this, several hundred quid's worth of mic next to pouring water? Not a good recipe in my books! Considering clarity and warmth are unlikely to be high requirements here, this is the rare situation where I'd say practically speaking and up to a point, cheaper is probably better. Though I guess mic choice seems a bit irrelevant now you've got the surprise of mystery mics B-)

As for the water problem, could you use a couple of cheap pop shields or similar in front of the mic? It's not going to be waterproof obviously or take a jug of water thrown at it but it might lessen the impact of a little accidental splash!

A funny one this. I sure hope they don't expect a lot of GBF on water pouring noises!

Like many others my first instinct was a couple of small diaphram condensors but they'd have to be awfully close to get any meaningful pickup...and water is a good way to ruin a condensor.

How about one or more cheap lavs (can you cay "CPC"?) taped to the side of whatever jug is being used for the pouring, facing the receptacles?

Bob

P_

SO..

I have collected my 14 mics, they are:

4x aKG c1000

6x akg c3000

4x akg 451

These mics, I have discovered, were selected by the client.

Should be interesting.....

At the moment I am inclined to rig the mics on a boom mic stand "hung" over the performer from as high as I can to reduce possible water damage... cant do much more really with what I have got...

Photos tomorrow night I think....

Archived