Putting together a dance "Rep Rig"

Light Console

Tuesday Evening update:

Many thanks for all of the help, the plan from Lowenickj was very helpful too, just the sort of thing I was hoping for.

A couple of notes,

1 Side lighting is not shown on my plan, but will be brought out for those with the older kids, or for the events where we have more set up time.

2 I know it is limited, but I have had to watch out for kit, loading and the shape of the stage.

3 I have worked on a grid of 2.5m square per area, which I know our PARNels will cover and blend together for the top/front lighting cover. This grid is formed of 5 rows in the front and mid stage section, and 4 in the upstage section to cover the trapezium shape.

4 Upstage of LX3 are two new tab tracks, which hide the choir risers, so only 8m of the stage is in use.

The Plan so far!

The numbers are both lantern numbers and circuit numbers. There are a few quirks in the venue, so the order may look odd, but does work! 22 - 24 are lost somewhere in the venue, so are not on the plan either!

1 & 12 Desk controlled house lights

2 & 11 Pinspots on Mirror Ball (6)

3 - 5 Warm fan in L152, existing from Drama rig

7 Gobo/special

8 - 10 Cold fan in L117, existing from Drama rig

13 & 21 DS Pipe ends 1, L106? worked well recently anyway!

26 & 36 DS Pipe ends 2, L132, again worked well recently.

14 & 20 DS Pipe ends 3, L117 is current favourite here to allow a cooler look, but L104 is another option I think.

15 - 19 DS Top/front lighting L152

37 & 35 CS Pipe ends 1, as above

27 & 34 CS Pipe ends 2, as above

28 & 33 CS Pipe ends 3, as above

38 & 48 CS Pipe ends 4, L137 a real favourite of mine

25, 29 - 32 CS Top/front lighting L152

39 & 47 US pipe ends 1, as above

49 & 55 US pipe ends 2, as above

40 & 46 US pipe ends 3, as above

41 - 45 US Top/front lighting L152

43 L132 toplight.

50 & 56, 51 & 57 Gobo breakup in pairs

52 & 54 & 59 L106 backlight, I hope to add more to the lantern count here.

53 & 60 & 58 L174 backlight, again with more lanterns if poss.

The un-numbered lanterns on the plan are the LED pars on the Cyc, to help with overall mood!

how would you rig side lighting if you didnt have the bars in place
The two main methods are:

1) Hang ladders from the ends of your flown lighting bars - used very often as it keeps the floor clear for dancefloor, scenery or whatever.

- This can also keep the sidelight above headheight for ease of getting cast on/off, but obviously that means shoulder-height and shinbusters are impossible.

2) Stand booms on tanktraps in the wings.

I can't decide if we are trying to light 'serious' dance or dance school - and I am thinking dance school since it's that season, they almost all want to see their little darlings faces and in general we get away with - cool - warm - white from the house rig and add either some movers upstage hung and on the floor or led par's as eye candy and they love it. No real place for back lit n moody, bit of UV brightens the costumes - just leave it on through the show.

Still soon be the summer

Grrrr - dance shows

S

Dance lighting IS about side lighting, primarily, but also about back lighting, as well as key isolating pools - usually 9 or so, then fronts for some facial fill.

Our rig is mostly oriented towards dance and contains the following:

Note stage is 39 ft. wide x 35 ft. deep, with a 20 ft. high proscenium and inadequate vertical fly space.

- Flying counterweighted ladders that span the wings DS to US and have 6 ellipsoidals per wing x 4 wings per side, mounted on 3 horizontal bars on 2ft vertical spacing , 30 and 40 degree fixed lense to allow a far shot and near shot, provides for a 3 color wash (generally) at any desired height.

- A single 25-50 degree mini zoom on a floor plate, 1 per wing per side (8 total), if space is mimited, OR 6 ft. tall towers (76"H x 18"W x 30"D- 8 total) with 4 x 25-50 mini zooms per wing, per side, 2 as head hi's, 2 as shins (Towers not on website plot as they are spanking brand new).

- Pipe end 15-35 zooms, 2 per side x 4 electrics (16 total), 2-fer'd for hi-side, at extreme end of the electrics. gobo's, etc..

- 12 - S4 Pars per electric (48 total - website shows them as PAR64's, which has changed)), as a 3 color wash per electric. with 4 units per wash, using wide lenses. Lenses can swap as required.

- Up to 11 S4 25/50 zooms per electric, with 4 per electric positioned just on-stage of P/L and the legs for use either as additional hi-sides or as diagonal bax. 7 zooms on 1/4 line and center line as pools or add'l back colors, specials, etc..

- Diagonal front box positions with 10 x S4 25-50 zooms per position

- 24 assorted FOH in 3 ceiling slots, mixed S4 19 and 26 degrees, allows for 4 or 6 lamp washes that can be separated into L / C / R areas.

- 3 color cyc wash

All is mostly dimmer per unit, excepting ladders and pipe ends which are 2-fer'd.

80 percent of the dance companies have no need to change the rep plot out. All the companies can choose focus, color and channel assignments, which is not specified.

Most companies bring/have a disk compatable with the Express/Emphasis system, which allows for easy cue importing. Saves a ton of programming time.

Here's a link to the website: http://www.brooklyncenter.com/techinfo/index_techinfo.html

Plot is considered "very European", due - I've been told, to the extensive use of zooms. Why folks over here use fixed lenses is beyond me.

Steve B.

• 1 month later...

Well, here I am again, but this time with a budget of £4,000 to spend on as many "meatrack" side lights as I can :D . There are, as with most things a few buts... :rolleyes:

The lanterns have to be totally enclosed behind a metal grid/mesh.

Multi-use is important, so independent local control of some dimmers, and DMX control too.

A desk has to be included in the price - so I think some dimmers will not have local control and be the £50 cheapies.

I am thinking of making each rack out of unistrut, as a bit like mechanno it is very flexible, with the ability to weld the mesh onto. It will consist of a wooden base about 620mm by 420mm, with castors below, and two stage weights sat on top. Attached to the wooden base will be the four uprights, hopefully 1,800mm high, with spacers at the top and middle. The dimmer pack will be attached to the middle spacer. The lanterns will then hang from an "H" shaped part made out of more unistrut. This can be adjusted to allow for different types of lantern to be installed within the caging. How the front works, I have yet to decide, but hinges will have to feature! Each rack will cost about £92, which is not that much more than the tank trap and scaffolding option first looked at.

So to the new question...given that this will all be run off 13A supplies, and the dance studio is, as far as I can tell, only one ring main, each lantern will have to be 500w or so. We are hoping to get 6 - 8 racks for this install, and second hand may become an option, however, they might get in our concert hall, which has a 16m wide stage DS, shrinking to 12m US.

Will CCT Minuettes be up to the job? I think they will, but the head of dance wants some other opinions, yours to be exact!

What lanterns do you use for side lights? We are thinking of two in each rack to start with, adding to it when we can.

The rep rig which was displayed above, has been up since the day after I posted, and is serving us very well, so many thanks for your help with that.

Edit - many typos, sorry!

• 9 months later...

Just an update to say that we managed to get the side lighting in the end.

A bit of a H&S nightmare, led us up the garden path! They ended up saying that how the "Theatre" does it will be fine, so we should have 6 tank traps on castors arriving on Friday.

Already here, and in use are 12 Junior Zooms, and 6 Cantata F, the later second hand. These are powered from El Cheapo "multidim" dimmer packs.

We are currently doing a show called the "Last Dance", and 95% is done off side lights, and LED pars as colour washes on the cyc.

Thank you to all for your help.

The rep rig shown before is still up, as the house rig, but now with 6 Parcans either side of the stage.

as in ladder do u mean ladder truss??

Chris

No.. something more like this:

http://lions-wing.net/YHS/LightLadder.jpg

T

If Kee Klamp is used to form the joins, they must be drilled through completely and bolted. Thomas make a LOLER ladder, but I would think that it is not cheap.

For side lighting I like to use booms at stage level with a profile on the bottom as a shin buster, then fresnels/pcs or pars at chest and head height. With a nice mixture of vivid colours the results are great. Obviously profiles all round if we had enough of them :o

I saw a wonderful side light setup with a tour a few years back, basically they had 'booms' made from 8ft lengths of largish box truss on bases. Each unit had IIRC 4 lanterns fitted at various heights within the truss and had a 6 channel rack fitted in the base.

Wheel it in, stand it on the base and plug in a 32A supply and DMX, job done.

There were also a couple of extra profiles that stored within the truss that would fit onto the top end plate to give some higher top light.

Regards, Dan.

Archived