Cool things to do with a few M250's

tobybennett

The Director decides to split up a duet on stage so one person is on each side of the stage, before we got the Macs we would have had to hire in an extra profile at a cost of £xx to you, now we can just do this...

To which the response is likely to be... "so you spent around £2000 per unit, and the benefit is that you can save the occasional five pounds per week?"

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have you ever seen Jesus Christ Superstar? Yellow for searchlights, Blue for sirens - which particular scene in JCS did you have in mind? What bit would the strobes be used for. JCS is a rock opera, not a music gig.

I was trying to illustrate the point (obviously not clearly enough) that you CAN'T just pick an effect that looks cool for what it is and throw it in any performance you choose (in this case JCS) and expect it to look appropriate! I know they don't fit at all, nothing springs to mind that does. Personally I think that the best use of them might well be just to silently move them between scenes to appropriate places, going along with the simplest is often better approach. Though as pointed out, without seeing the actual thing it's nigh on impossible to say what will and won't fit.

Things you could do with 3WEEKS to program a show!!! I programmed We Will Rock You in 24hrs (including the tech rehearsal) with 36 intelligent fixtures & a full house system!!!

Christ (no pun intended), what a luxury!!!!

Thanks for the replies! Been down there today, and programmed a few different scenes onto the stage with various different props around. It shows off the capability to profile each different prop in different ways.

Things you could do with 3WEEKS to program a show!!! I programmed We Will Rock You in 24hrs (including the tech rehearsal) with 36 intelligent fixtures & a full house system!!!

Did you do the show in the west end? Dominion Theatre? I saw it there, and if you managed to do that in 24 hrs; thats amazing!! I thought that lighting was tip-top!

Mind you, over the 3 weeks I've done this programming, I wouldn't of worked on it everyday, and not for more than 2 hours (need breaks!) each session.

Show them the Most advance features on the Macs and run them through a couple of scenarios that would have meant extra cost to them.

Advanced features? What like Gobo Rotate?

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

True but if they have already spent the money it would be easier to convince them.

Josh

No, if the've spent £2000 to save a fiver as Bruce discussed then convincing them that they are worth it will be the least of your worries, convincing them to not lynch you will be the major issue.

Sell a few of them and buy some profiles, and build up the conventional stock before buying "toys" that look "cool"

Trust me, we have enough 'conventional stock' at this theatre.

20x Strand Cantata 18/32's

20x Strand Hamony 22/40's

10x Patt 833's

10x Strand Leko's

15x Par 64's

We persuaded the committee to purchase the MAC's becuase we wanted the added flexibility of colour and patterns provided by the 250's. Also, the effects that they can produce, compliment the conventional lanterns and profiles.

Trust me, we have enough 'conventional stock' at this theatre.

wot no floods,not that many fressys or pc's either

I'd agree with that comment - you appear to have a huge list of profiles for FoH use, but other than the patt 833s (which to be honest I wouldn't use for anything except a trash bin!) you have no fresnels or similar listed - unless you missed them off the list...

And if you already own that many wigglies, then I'd question WHY?

Unless you're VERY comfortable in their use, and how they can be used regularly and to best effect, why on earth would you want more?

I think its just students being students and liking things that move... I know, im a student and like things that move, but if I had a couple of grand to be spent, I dont think I'd buy movers, id buy more generic stuff, cos you can get amazing effects with generic stuff, if it is used right, a lot of the shows at my college are mainly generic, with some movers, for like music shows etc

I mean everyone loves movers, who doesnt, but I think getting more would be a complete waste of money imo.

Archived