Cool things to do with a few M250's

tobybennett

I think its just students being students and liking things that move... I know, im a student and like things that move, but if I had a couple of grand to be spent, I dont think I'd buy movers, id buy more generic stuff, cos you can get amazing effects with generic stuff, if it is used right, a lot of the shows at my college are mainly generic, with some movers, for like music shows etc

I mean everyone loves movers, who doesnt, but I think getting more would be a complete waste of money imo.

Sorry if this is a little off topic, or is utter crap but this is my view anyway...

I guess that we as students don't have as much exposure to these types of lights, so like anything, we want to get our hands on them and have a play. Personally I have had a play with a fixture with 2 moving lights in it and would love to be able to do more and have a crack at programming them, but I guess if we had them all the time, then they would be classed just as 'another fixture' nothing that special; IMO anyway.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not saying that, I love moving lights, I just think its complete pointless designing a show with more moving lights that generic stuff generally, especially in a college/school environment. Just my opinion.

I guess if we had them all the time, then they would be classed just as 'another fixture' nothing that special

Definately. I was doing work ex on a show in the RAH - 85+ movers and only 16 generics (house lights). I was talking to the programmer/operator, and realised that having movers in 'big' shows really isn't a big thing anymore.

I'm not saying that, I love moving lights, I just think its complete pointless designing a show with more moving lights that generic stuff generally, especially in a college/school environment. Just my opinion.

IMHO, if a school has more movers than generics, it should sell some, or dry hire and maintain them - and use the money to buy more generics! (Obviously, this requires a little more planning - business law, insurance, etc.)

Chris

I was doing work ex on a show in the RAH - 85+ movers and only 16 generics (house lights). I was talking to the programmer/operator, and realised that having movers in 'big' shows really isn't a big thing anymore.

The RAH house rig being made up exclusively of movers, if you discount the 200 or so Source 4 PARs, is as much about the need for flexibility driven by tight turn-arounds in the venue as any other consideration.

The RAH house rig being made up exclusively of movers, if you discount the 200 or so Source 4 PARs, is as much about the need for flexibility driven by tight turn-arounds in the venue as any other consideration.

4-day show - none of the house rig was used (except previosuly mentioned house lights)

IMHO, if a school has more movers than generics, it should sell some, or dry hire and maintain them - and use the money to buy more generics! (Obviously, this requires a little more planning - business law, insurance, etc.)

Chris

Thats What I meant in my post

More often than not I use our intelligents in a more conventional use. 2 washes will cover the stage and save me some generics I can use elsewhere. And the spots are great to place as I would a profile and just move them slightly into the different positions as needed. Unless you looked you wouldnt be able to tell if the rig had movers or not.

I think most of the annoyance here has come from what appears to be "we got them because we could" kind of attitude, or a "it was something we could play with"

The other thing to consider is the size of the theatres in schools, and therefore the size of the rigs that can go up. I wouldnt mind more generics, however I know we dont have the infastructure to handle them.

Just a couple of thoughts to add into the equation!

Steve

back on topic:

I would suggest starting simple with a few static states and then slowly building more and more into it to really show the various uses of the macs and all the different things they can do...theres no point going "look...they flash and move at the same time" when in reality they are only going to do that once in the show!

• 2 years later...
Things you could do with 3WEEKS to program a show!!! I programmed We Will Rock You in 24hrs (including the tech rehearsal) with 36 intelligent fixtures & a full house system!!!

Christ (no pun intended), what a luxury!!!!

I thought that!! What a luxury. Mind you, would have been far nicer to spend 2 .5 weeks at home programming it on visuliser and then just going into the venue a couple of days before tech to tweak! hehe. Wish all jobs would be like that!

Moderation: Are you really sure you want to resurrect yet another "movers in schools" flame war considering that the previous post in this topic was two and a half years ago? I think we'll close this one rather than have yet another circuit around old and boring ground.

Archived