Linux

Guest lightnix

Linux as standard doesn't use the Fat 32 file system and CAN'T use the NTFS file system. (I know you can get it to read NTFS but it can't write)

Linux is very good at reading NTFS - it will actually read data that Windows is convinced has been lost for all time.

However, writing to NTFS is still 'experimental' - in other words, it might work, but it might also totally bugger up the filesystem.

James' advice on creating at FAT32 partition is spot on - another bonus of that idea is it means that you can use it for your DOS boot disk for the Strand OLE.

Remember - if the other OS is WinXP, you'll have to format the FAT32 partition under Linux or using your DOS boot disk. Windows XP will happily find, mount and use the partition for you once it's done though.

The best distribution of Linux for beginners is probably Mandrake, as most of the time it works out of the box.

One CD that it's a VERY good idea for everybody to have a copy of is Knoppix.

It's a version of Linux that runs directly from the CD, and has saved my life several times when Windows has died.

It sets itself up automagically, and the latest version is even happy with USB mice!

Could someone give me an idea of the amount of disk space I am likely to need. Or for those of you who use Linux what sort of numbers are we talking about, 1GB, 5GB, 10GB or more?

I presume that Linux will be clever enough to reformat it as something else, if it ends up as FAT32, either care of the partitioning and formatting program I use, or because I format it as that to temporarily store some data, such as the Linux ISO's while I download them.

So how many partitions do I need to create for Linux, is it just 3, the main one, the swap one at twice the amount of my memory and a boot one? Also I was reading all about the boot one having to be within the first 1024 cylinders, is this still an issue, if so should I make it the first partition? Will that affect Windows booting.

The FAT32 partition that James is talking about mounting, I presume that is actually within Linux?

Finally Tomo mentioned Knoppix, which runs directly from the CD, I presume this is free, also am I right in thinking I could download it now, boot from it and have a play with Linux in advance?

Thanks in Advance

PN

Knoppic is available here as an ISO image.

Download it, burn it and try it!

By default it launches the KDE window manager, which looks very similar to Win9x/XP

Sorry, forgot to include the linky in my last post.

To be honest I was just being very lazy, I guess I could have found it within a few seconds on google, although I guess its nice to know it will work before I waste ages downloading a 700MB file.

I've just started downloading it and have done about 6MB now.

Thanks

PN

To be honest I was just being very lazy, I guess I could have found it within a few seconds on google, although I guess its nice to know it will work before I waste ages downloading a 700MB file.

700MB, that'll take a while.

If it doesn't come down complete it often appears on cover DVDs on computer magazines. PC Plus had it a couple of months ago and I'm sure I saw it last week on one of the Linux mags, can't remember which one tho'.

So how many partitions do I need to create for Linux, is it just 3, the main one, the swap one at twice the amount of my memory and a boot one? Also I was reading all about the boot one having to be within the first 1024 cylinders, is this still an issue, if so should I make it the first partition? Will that affect Windows booting.

What I would suggest is take a disk with spare unpartitioned space on it, Point your installer at it and it should do everythiing for you.

The partitions I mentioned are the minimum.

You can add more if you want, For the first time I would recomed the instaler's defults.

James

PS - I would thouroughly check the ISO after you have downloaded in case a tiny piece of corruption has crept in the will bite you later.

What I would suggest is take a disk with spare unpartitioned space on it, Point your installer at it and it should do everything for you.

The partitions I mentioned are the minimum.

You can add more if you want, For the first time I would recommend the installers defaults.

James

PS - I would thoroughly check the ISO after you have downloaded in case a tiny piece of corruption has crept in the will bite you later.

So partition say 70GB of the 80GB drive, then when I install Linux it will make use the last ten?

How do I check the ISO for corruption?

Finally can anyone give me some example figures of how much hard disk space to leave spare for Linux please?

Thanks in Advance

PN

Linux can in fact mount a partition as any part of the file system (for instance you could have all your mail on a separate disk or partition). One use could be for your home directory (roughtly speaking the equivalent to My Documents). Or you can just use a single partition for the lot, which is simplist to install. The reason why I'm mentioning this is that if in future you do run out of space you can always mount another partition later.

Could someone give me an idea of the amount of disk space I am likely to need. Or for those of you who use Linux what sort of numbers are we talking about, 1GB, 5GB, 10GB or more?

As far as I can see no one has actually suggested a number. Again it depends on what you want to install. Usually the default install will install most things of use and a few that you probably won't need. I would say that 3Gb is probably the min if you want to try various things (including having stuff like open office etc). but if you can afford more the better. 6Gb is probably quite nice if you can afford it.

I presume that Linux will be clever enough to reformat it as something else, if it ends up as FAT32, either care of the partitioning and formatting program I use, or because I format it as that to temporarily store some data, such as the Linux ISO's while I download them.

In terms of reformatting, linux will format the partitions first, most installs also allow you to nicely partition the drive too.

For linux you really only need 2 partitions at minimum, -- the main (/ or root) partition and the swap partition. More makes things more complicated, but sometimes easier later. The boot partition was needed at one stage because some bioses (if thats the plural) had issues, but modern machines should be fine. You will need to install (have installed) windows first, then linux, as windows would install over linux bootloader. Most installs will install a bootloader (usually lilo or grub) which will give you a nice menu to allow you to choose which os to boot.

The FAT32 partition that James is talking about mounting, I presume that is actually within Linux?

not sure how much you know about the linux filesystem - but basically it takes your windows drive and mounts the root of the windows partition somewhere in the linux filesystem -- usually /mnt/win . it appears as if its part of the linux filesystem, but its actually really still FAT32.

Linux can be daunting at first, and fiddly at times, but for some things be worth sticking with.

Just thought I'd add my 2p's worth... (this one's a bit long!)

For the last year, I've been using three networked machines at home. Two run Win2000, while the server is running Fedora Core 1 (Linux) and handles Windows Login, email virus-scanning & hosting, Internet browsing (via a remote graphical login from the workstations), print & file serving (for all data generated by the workstations) and as a test-bed/data recovery suite for friend's crashed hardware/drives etc. I'm adding automated backups to the list very soon!

Like any other OS, Linux has advantages, disadvantages and quirks, all of which I'd describe as "features." If you're a Linux loner/newbie like me, any help you need can either be found in the electronic manuals provided with the distro, or can be found widely on the Internet. I'd recommend it every time for anyone looking for any kind of "install and forget" setup, even if the time taken to configure and fine-tune the install seems a bit much at first.

As for what desktop manager to use, this is a matter of personal choice. In their default setups, I'd recommend Gnome for anyone happy with a "Mac meets Windows" desktop, while Windows users may feel more at home with KDE as it's more flexible with things like keyboard mapping as well as the graphical "look". KDE even easily allows the switching of "keystroke" sets, so that you can configure it to recognise the same keystroke shortcuts you'd use in Windows.

Best thing is, the Linux server isn't even a well-spec'd machine as it's essentially built from 2-5 year old leftovers (apart from the new 40Gb HD). Processor/hardware spec isn't as important as raw RAM - the more (128Mb+) the better. A typical "full" install (complete with OpenOffice and other useful odds and ends) will come in at about 3-5Gb, but remember that even without software additions, this doesn't "grow" over time like Windows does.

Hope this covers your unanswered questions!

Chris.

Archived