Par 64 gels burning to quick?

raj

While (briefly) on the subject of Raylight reflectors, whats the beefest lamp you can put in them? T26s or T19s?

Ah I've answered my own question... as they've got a GY9.5 base (see here) it's going to be a T26 (650w) I'd have thought.

Stu

Although it will fit, it won't work. The problem is that the filament is not in the focus of the reflector. They are normally designed to be used with an A1/233 (aka DYR?), which is still a 650W lamp.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah right - ta for that Brian... Next question - anyone know what kind of light you get out of them in terms of shape, degrees and brightness?

Stu

Ah right - ta for that Brian... Next question - anyone know what kind of light you get out of them in terms of shape, degrees and brightness?

Stu

Well since I'm here...

The beam tends to be more circular than a standard PAR, often it's a pretty good circle.

I reckon the brightness of a 650W raylight approachs that of a 1k PAR. It's quite difficult to do accurately since you need them to be set for the same spread.

For beam angles you can find raylights with different angles, they aren't as common but you can get them in wide/medium/narrow and very narrow. I have also seen variable beam angle units, have a look at Parabeam 1000.

I've often been tempted to change all my PARs to reflector units, the initial outlay is more but replacement lamps are way cheaper (and you need only carry one spare lamp type).

I've often been tempted to change all my PARs to reflector units, the initial outlay is more but replacement lamps are way cheaper (and you need only carry one spare lamp type).

And the spare lamps are somewhat smaller to carry around and store.

However, the lamp-life of an A1 class bulb is somewhere around 50hrs compared to ~300 for a 230V P64 or double that again for a 110V one.

remember that heatshield workd best with an air gap between the heatshield abd the gel... otherwise you get a heatshielgeliforic fused mess! at £7.50 plus VAT per mess... :o

Edit: (or I could just read the other two pages of the thread and discover that several people have already said that ... 'm glad I didnt suggest using less saturated coulours like I was going to... :rolleyes: )

YOu can get 300watt par lamps... not as bright but longer gel life

We've had a similar problem at the Linbury since we got our new Robert Juliat 2K Fresnels, they burn through gel in about ten minutes... even some of the lighter stuff! We're also on our third set of lenses for them but thats another story... :angry:

Just a quick point:

Most T class lamps (apart from some early types used in P264s) are designed to burn base down. Hence they don't like being used in raylights and won't last very long.

The A1/244 (500W) and A1/233 (650W) are designed for axial use and are the correct lamps.

You might also be able to put a CP/77 (1kW) in, but I don't think the raylights are specced for that!!

Dave.

Yars,

Robert Juliat 2K Fresnels

first set of lenses were just plain wrong... (burnt out the more saturated gels in seconds, had a strange 'double' ring in the beam and didn't make circles (the only way we could use them was with the barn doors on to make squares...

second set less bad but still not good all of above problems just slightly reduced altho' Juliat did send a frenchman to change them all the way from Frenchland!

Third set (current) are better but still burn through the gel like a hot knife through your eyeball on full flood and only a bit slower on anything less than full flood.

Keep trying monsieurs...

Coming back to the topic in hand...(!), the thing that bugs me is that the actual par can is a Thomas floor lite so is actually designed to shoot upwards-surely they would have designed it to allow adequate cooling!? :rolleyes:

Diverting from the topic in hand (apologies)... How are the 2K Juliat Fresnels coping with scrollers on the front? Does the fan keep the scroll from burning like the proverbial "ring of fire" or is it a pointless exercise? Would be interested to know, as I can save a few bob by splashing out on some (far too expensive) heatshield now rather than some heatshield and replacement scrolls next week...

Most T class lamps (apart from some early types used in P264s) are designed to burn base down. Hence they don't like being used in raylights and won't last very long.

Did anyone come across "MaxLites"? Biggest pile of canine do's I've ever come across! Exactly this problem, and a rig of 70 lanterns or so with a lamp-life measured in seconds.

:P

Can't remember what the bubbles were though, CP something from memory...

back to the topic.. (again!), im still not having any luck - the gels just burn too quick.

Can I use a 300watt bulb instead of the 500watt one in a par 64? Is there such a thing as a par64 300watt lamp?? :P

Archived