Turbosound aspect series

Acdisco

reading the details about the polyhorn technology it mentions a sharp drop off axis, is that the case in real use?

Matt,

One of the really good things about this box is the precise and very specific drop off you get with the polyhorn. It does allow quite precise arraying.

I'd contact LMC for a demo...

Simon

Thanks for the reply Simon. While that's great when you can use multiple boxes (and one of the + points for the future), can you comment how they work when they are used individually in smaller situations? Is the off axis response that much lower to cause problems in that situation or do they work ok still?

I've been talking to one of the dealers who are interested in sorting out a demo but I’m wondering if it's worth spending the time or not to go and have a listen. Budget only stretches to buying a pair atm (and probably 50% of the current jobs I do are one box a side affair anyway, but I’m looking to future proof somewhat with a decent brand box rather than something more MI. So I’m looking for some opinions before investing the time in getting a demo arranged.

Cheers

Matt

Matt,

I've heard the horn demonstrated (by the design team) and not the whole box. What I heard was a pretty abrubt cut off - almost a now you hear it, now you don't situation.

If the coverage angle suits your particular gig, then it's fine. If it doesn't, it is going to sound very poor as there won't be much above the cone driver frequencies.

Simon

Matt,

I've heard the horn demonstrated (by the design team) and not the whole box. What I heard was a pretty abrubt cut off - almost a now you hear it, now you don't situation.

If the coverage angle suits your particular gig, then it's fine. If it doesn't, it is going to sound very poor as there won't be much above the cone driver frequencies.

Simon

Thanks Simon, hopefully the original poster will get a chance to reply with how they have found them in use, in a single box config. Out of interest did you hear a compression driver and/or a cone based mid driver with the horn demo?

Also is there anyone out there in the Blueroom thats heard the Aspect TA-500 next to an F1 Res2 and can offer any comparisons?

Cheers

Matt

Hey guys, I can't say I've heard the top boxs but I have heard the subs it depends on which model they are if there mark 1's don't touch them they fall apart pressure used to build up and the seals go round the drivers. But the mark 2's are pretty good

I use the TA500 quite frequently and can confirm that it works in single boxes. Of course, the hard cutoff point can have its disadvantages but ONLY in cases where you don't have "enough rig for the gig". If you have a venue where one box a side is all you need then you only have advantages of not sending sound where you don't want it. Remember, there is a fair bit of it about around the country, and you're not going to stress your amps by running 2 boxes a side on them so hiring them shouldn't be too difficult (though some places do charge some rather comical rates for them).

Also, Simon, if you want to hear the whole box, just give us a shout.

I use the TA500 quite frequently and can confirm that it works in single boxes. Of course, the hard cutoff point can have its disadvantages but ONLY in cases where you don't have "enough rig for the gig". If you have a venue where one box a side is all you need then you only have advantages of not sending sound where you don't want it. Remember, there is a fair bit of it about around the country, and you're not going to stress your amps by running 2 boxes a side on them so hiring them shouldn't be too difficult (though some places do charge some rather comical rates for them).

Also, Simon, if you want to hear the whole box, just give us a shout.

Thanks for the comments Rob. One other question you might be able to help with: do they require much processing/EQ (current LSM been a BSS FDS388), I couldn't see any suggested setting on the Turbo website?

Cheers

M

If you decide upon this, let me know and I can send you the data for the settings via some method. Failing that, if you send me a card for the 388 in the post I'll drop the settings onto it for you and send it back, I have 388's and 355's. PM me if you would like any more information.

Rob

Archived