Fly Weight Recovery

Iand

...and face it into a cellarman's pig. The pig should easily be able to absorb the impact.

I love the sound of that. I know I shouldn't ask, but what exactly is a cellarman's pig, and where do you get one?

A cellarman's pig is exactly as described: similar to a crash mat, but smaller in area and deeper. They are often leather, but sometimes pvc. They are used to allow barrels to be droped (sometimes up to 8-10 feet) safely. You get them from ... a cellarman!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ike,

Is your scrap man considerably more generous than mine, or are you agreeing that he'd be better trying to sell them as what they are rather than scrap metal?

I haven't had much scrap in recently, but I was getting about £50 per ton for heavy steel about 6 months ago.

Might be time to try hauling the couple of old landrover engines out from the depths of the barn then.....

Back to the original topic, how far off the ground is the fly floor? The idea of the rubbish chute sounds quite practical, as long as they're not going to be doing a rediculous speed by the time they get to the bottom

All

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will be investigating the chute idea. If we can get the angle right it might even deposit them by the dock door.

If we recover them and fill the skip left by the scrap man we will receive araound £100 a tonne. Which will go towards some new radio mikes which we need. I would think most theatres have all the fly weights they need but if I'm wrong or anyone knows of someone who could use them by all means get in touch. We will have them for a few weeks yet.

Thanks

Ian

I will be investigating the chute idea. If we can get the angle right it might even deposit them by the dock door.
I don't know how much the chute bits would cost to hire, so this idea may fall down on that front, but remember you've got a ready made rigging system that's far more flexible than any builders scaffold. Assuming the weights don't get stuck, you could conceivably spiral or zig zag all around the stage, in a rather Heath Robinson way, until you get them to ground level at an acceptable speed.

I will be investigating the chute idea. If we can get the angle right it might even deposit them by the dock door.
I don't know how much the chute bits would cost to hire, so this idea may fall down on that front, but remember you've got a ready made rigging system that's far more flexible than any builders scaffold. Assuming the weights don't get stuck, you could conceivably spiral or zig zag all around the stage, in a rather Heath Robinson way, until you get them to ground level at an acceptable speed.

Yes, excellent. we might even get them out of the doors straight into the skip!!! I shall look into cost.

Thanks

Why if all the machinery and infrastructure is still in place and working is your fly tower 'disused'? One day you or your sucessors may well regret this ever happening, surely it is not prhibitivley expensive to re-commission your flys and get them in use again - they are a hell of an asset.

However:

Use Chain hoist and a builder's mini skip or two or three. Skips and their lifting eyes are lifted from single points by tower crane every day. Use a couple so you have one at height being loaded, one lowered onto a pallet truck which you then use to wheel it to the transport and empty. You should find a rythym where you go quite quick and neither top or bottom are idle.

Or rig a cradle to be controlled by a hoist. First lower and remove bar. Then fit motor 'up' above cradle. Load cradle and use motor to control descent, empty, lift, repeat.

In this job gravity and freefall are not really suitable.

What do you plan on doing with everything else from this 'disused' fly tower? If you sell ALL your weight for scrap you do know what you are doing to the rest of the system don't you?

Now that is a shame.

Just be careful that you leave the empty cradles/bars in a safe place once finished.

Empty cradle = bar heavy = bar on floor, cradle in air.

Strip all your bars out and lower cradles carefully by hand so all bits that can interact with gravity can't

Leaving things in mid air in a derelict property might be daft...

Can you get a telehandler or forklift on to the stage? It would seem the sensible solution (without the "Paddy and the Bricks" risk).

could you please explain what you mean byt the "Paddy and the Bricks" system you mentioned

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

All

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will be investigating the chute idea. If we can get the angle right it might even deposit them by the dock door.

If we recover them and fill the skip left by the scrap man we will receive araound £100 a tonne. Which will go towards some new radio mikes which we need. I would think most theatres have all the fly weights they need but if I'm wrong or anyone knows of someone who could use them by all means get in touch. We will have them for a few weeks yet.

Thanks

Ian

Hi Ian, can you give me some imfo about your weights, I might be looking for a few, we just got out flying system replaced and the new bars are heavier than the old ones so we lost a lote of our stock just counterweighting the empty bar, so we do need to replace a few hundred stage weights. Our weights are 9.07kgs each (20lbs) standard Halls weights. we're over in Dublin so you can imagine the cost of trasnport so it might be cheaper to source this end, but lest see what happens .. thanks Pat

pat.dillon@abbeytheatre.ie

by the way, I think the chute system is an excelent idea

Archived