Sizing a PA to a Room

OGGY

:D I suppose this could go on forever but would probably get wiped by the mods!

A glossary of terms in pdf format would prove an interesting read dhilly.

Which is strangely relevant as it is written by Mackie.

John Denim. Sax player limping? he has stubbed his toe through his open toe sandals.

Well my venue has an auditorium heigh similar to trhis space we're talking about, it's a box about 25m wide and 70m deep to the back - Looking at our own kit and the kit typical rock and roll 50s/60s show bring in - then around 10-12K of amps seem to be quite typical for PA and monitors. People with smaller kit tie in to our system - I'd expect that to do the show justice you need to move a bit of air about - especially as a Blues Brothers band usually has a brass section!

I do a lot of these functions ranging from 100 - 600 people.

Personally, I'd find out the exact details and room layout. Then if it was as big as you said I'd be looking at enough system to put 95-100db evenly on the Dancefloor and a few carefully and discretely placed delays at stategic places around the venue and control them on a matrix.

Ramp the delays up for the speeches/ meat raffle etc and down when the dancing happens to just enough to be able to talk loudly over the top of it ( not nightclub shouting).

Remember that the entertainment is a secondary item, the event as a whole is why they are there. This goes for weddings too, too many people out there think the band are the main event.

As a possible side issue, if the room is actually 80 odd metres wide and has no obviuos rigging throughout, you're gonna have a hell of a time rigging a multicore for it. Could be an side stage mixing job or time to get the wireless laptop out on studio editor!

Good luck in whatever way you choose to go. Post some photos.

side of stage it will be,the multi shall stay at home.

I was thinking of starting a poll thread to see who would mix where?

pa owners side of stage, bands engineer got to be foh? :D

for pics of the rig www.myspace.com/codexaudio

Archived