24/48 CH Desk Wanted

thomassg

I would recomend the Jester, for just over a grand new I don't think you are going to get much better for the money. An express will set you back more than double that, and then there's the trackpad to contend with.

I know that Zero88 come in for a bit of stick with the more professional users out there, but Zero have been doing a lot of listening to their customers in th last few years, and have come a hell of a long way since the first Sirus. with the Jester24/48 for your money you get a nice little desk that meets your spec, on budget for a new desk, the customer/technical support is one of the best I've ever had to use, and it's built in Wales. what more could you ask for. It now even comes with an OLE. (yes it has it's quirks, but what desk doesn't)

I'm not sure how long the Strand stuff metioned above is going to be out there, and I don't know what the extent of the current range is so I can't really comment. It's been a long time since I've sat in front of a 200 or even a 300 series Strand, or in fact for any Strand for that matter

I don't know exactly what environment it would be used in, but when I spec'ed the Jester for a school, personaly I waserr'ing towards the Express as I had the budget, but to think of the little darling hammering away on it made me cringe.

... Zero88 ... the customer/technical support is one of the best I've ever had to use, ...

I would join in the applause for Zero88 customer support. Outstanding, which is so unusual these days. Had spot-on, personal advice fixing a secondhand desk I'd bought, so the company didn't get anything directly from me.

Nigel

How about a SmartFade 24/96?

List price is approx. £1000, so fits your budget, and supports up to 96 dimmers, so it fits your rig size.

The SmartFade 12/96 is a bit cheaper (list £750), but obviously it has fewer faders.

They have a theatre stack, submasters and two-scene ("Next") operation.

No monitor, but it does show channel levels on the backlit buttons.

- It'll eventually have a version of SmartSoft as well, but that's not due for a couple of months.

What about Strand LBX, £1000 on Used Lighting and from experience, a very easy desk to use. It's an old desk, but they are still going strong.

I'd Suggest this, I used to use this at my school and its a nice desk to use and has a large memory and space to save to floppy. It also has a VGA out, as well as D54 for some Strand dimmers. Although you'd need to either assign submasters or get use to typing in the channels and levels, or the "golf ball" to move levels more precisely.

HTH

Dan

Personally I'd stick with a brand new desk. At least with a new desk you can mostly guarantee that parts will be available for some time to come and you have the support from the manufactuers.

Agreed expecially with the state of flux thet surrounds old strand stuff.

Josh

Hi

I have used an ETC express which does have the amount of channels you require but its not exactly moving head friendly unlike the zero 88 desks suggested. There are no wheels or a joystick just a trackpad which I personally don't think is particularly easy to use.

Jester would be best at the budget you have

not exactly moving head friendly unlike the zero 88 desks suggested.
The Jester 24/48 suggested is a pure generics console, and has precisely zero support for moving lights.

The OP doesn't want moving lights anyway.

The two obvious choices are the Jester or the SmartFade - pick the number of faders dependant on the intended use.

I have recently brought the jester 24/48.

it really is a amazing all round desk, it will cope with anything you ask it to do.

£898.88 inc. VAT+P&P from stage lighting it is where I brought mine from.

the only thing now is that I need more channels,

but until I have the money the jester will do me. its real easy to get a grip and go on it too!

Archived