Moving a piano

Johnno

And for a short distance, you probably wouldn't take the legs off.

My two-pennyworth....

I've never seen a piano flipped on to its side without removing at least one leg - I imagine if you don't do this there will be a point when all the weight of the piano will be resting on one leg - possible even more dangerous than risking the wrath of the caretaker and his polished floors.

I have seen a team of three get a 6'6" grand out of a van, up a flight of stairs to the first floor, and up on its legs ready for tuning in less than 20 minutes with no mechanical aids....so it probably doesn't really take much longer than going to find the extra wide ramps, moving them into position alongside the stage, and pushing the piano up on to the stage...

I understand that at the Royal Opera House they take the view that a grand piano should never be moved on its own lovely brass casters. They have a special thing like an enormous carjack on wheels that lifts the piano off the ground, even if it's being moved on the flat. This is lowered and removed once the piano is in position. I imagine it's a very very expensive piece of equipment.

Used to work for a pro company...
Are you seriously suggesting you'd flip a baby grand on it's side, remove it's legs, wheel it up a ramp, re attach the legs and flip it upright again just to get it onto a meter high stage?! Surely just getting a really wide (or even two) ramps would be a lot quicker, easier and less likely to result in having to tune it?

sorry I wasnt talking in context, just if we where getting out over a larger difference. although, that is a safe way of doing it over any diistance

and if it is to be flipped, remove the god damn legs and do it properly, if one goes its expensive. but depending on the enviornment, I still would consider doing it the proper way.

They have a special thing...I imagine it's a very very expensive piece of equipment.

They're not actually that bad, you can get them for shifting snooker tables and stuff too.

They have a special thing...I imagine it's a very very expensive piece of equipment.

They're not actually that bad, you can get them for shifting snooker tables and stuff too.

I hadn't really thought of other uses - just assumed expensive because the ROH rarely does the budget version....

Pick The Chuff Up,

at my school (where I was) I was doing a show and I wanted the Grand Piano down 3 steps on to the performance area instead backstage kind of area, I got around 5 lads and picked it up simple, why go taking things appart tipping it? what if your Pianist isnt happy with the sound what if you knock it, more than likely you will do this making it out of tune?

just pick it up :-)

I didn't say before but the castors don't work. The caretaker goes ballistic if anyone moves the piano as the floor is polished wood and great big gouges appear.

This, along with preventing stress on the legs, is why a lot of pianos will be placed upon some kind of iron frame with considerably larger wheels (that, and it's easier to move the things on a day to day basis across a stage, etc).

Archived