Drum Kit Overheads

Livenoise

Thank you all for your many suggestions, they've been most helpful.

However I'm now in a new dilemma. Large or small diaphragm? Particularly in the area of drum overheads.

Having quickly read through a few notes on the differences/pros and cons for each, I am still none the wiser.

The mic would have to be multi-purpose at the end of the day, not just for overheads.

Small diaphragm is my suggestion. If your first choice is for drum overheads, then their main purpose is to pickup the high frequency information, cymbals & sense of stereo spread. Low frequency response (the thump) on the drums will come from the close miking which you've already got covered.

I have the Behringer C2's as others mentioned and they're great in this role, especially as drum mics can have a very short life span with the high potential for them to be hit by flailing drummers.

I have also used them succesfully on classical & spanish guitar, flute & violin, so they're reasonably versatile & great value for money. Lifespan is yet to be an issue for me, and they've paid for themselves with a single use.

They're almost a disposable microphone for the price !!!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They're actually rather amazing given the price. I paid £40 for my pair (bought off a friend who paid £36 for them :D) and they give great results with most things. I've used them on an acoustic guitar before (stereo mic'd) and apart from the background noise, they were fantastic.

Archived