RCFTT22 or 25 and KV2 speakers?

smoggy

Thanks for the replies, it seems their are some strong feelings here, hope I havent started anything. ** laughs out loud **

Im hopefully going to hear the KV2 speakers soon, possibly tonight.

Problem im faced with now is just talking my dad (the better half of the duo) to part with his SR Technology speakers and falk out the money with me for either the RCF's or KV2's.

My dad wants us to use his powered SR Technology tops (550a 15" plus 1.5" 550watts) along side my PS10 system, but from what I have read, this wont work will it? Wont the systems be out of fase, as well as look stupid. :wall:

Im pretty much sold on the RCF stuff, if I can talk him into spending some money?

Any one want to be buy some SR Technology stuff, ** laughs out loud **

Thanks again

My dad wants us to use his powered SR Technology tops (550a 15" plus 1.5" 550watts) along side my PS10 system, but from what I have read, this wont work will it? Wont the systems be out of fase, as well as look stupid. :wall:

Thanks again

If you place them in the right places they shouldn't be out of phase.

However, if you are worried about not being able to do that yourself or get the placement you need in every venue, then you could put the instruments through one system and the vocals through the other (make sure it's the more central of the two systems).

The last RHCP tour went round with two different PA's and Greg Ratt (FOH engineer) did exactly that - kick, bass and vox through one system, the rest of the band through the other!

Who cares what it looks like as long as it sounds good - you'll be turning the lights off or down!

Well I heard a pair of KV2 ex 12's tonight, no sub. in a fairly large room. Single solo vocalist with backing tracks.

I was impressed, I can understand the comments on the high end being a little sharp, but with a little EQ its well tamable.

I was very impressed in the clarity of the vocal, crisp but yet their was plenty of depth. The backing was a little too quiet, but their was an amazing amount of bass, especially for 12" speaker!

The solo act was on with a trio who had a pir of DB 15" tops and a pair of 15" subs. their sound was terrible, but their was a lot of thump at the front, but it didnt carry down the room well in comparison to the pair of KV2's, so well impressed indeed.

I wouldnt mind being able to compare them to a pair of RCF TT22A speakers, im wondering if it would be a close sound, without the slight harshness. also wondering whehter the extra 250 watts would make a difference? :)

Where abouts in the world are you? Someone on here probably has some reccommendations on whhere to go to hear both systems side by side.

Josh

Im based in middlesbrough (north East England). That would be good, but its hard to tell without knocking out a few songs while singing to get a true feel for the system. :-)

Everyone who have read my post on KV2 on here will tell you how much I love these speakers and for theatre I use them all the time , albeit the ex10's and the ex2.2 subs. 250w difference may or may not make a difference depending on the SPL of the speakers. +10dB is twice as loud, so take the KV2, which I believe is 129 LONG TERM and check it out with the other speakers in question and you have your answer.

Don't forget you can add subs to your KV2 system later on as well which will give you extra 1000w @ 132SPL a side with the ex2.2 (double 12's) and they make a huge difference dispite being 'just 12's'. Can't comment for your other system, because I haven't used them.

[pendant]

It's Dave Rat

[pendant]

Josh

:) ;) :)

Brilliant!

I'm sure you meant PEDANT, but it's so much funnier the way you wrote it! ;)

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Where abouts in the world are you? Someone on here probably has some reccommendations on whhere to go to hear both systems side by side.

Josh

Im based in middlesbrough (north East England). That would be good, but its hard to tell without knocking out a few songs while singing to get a true feel for the system. :-)

KV2 are based in Harrogate, not a million miles from you.

The Warehouse are now a dealer for the RCF stuff you're interested in; shouldn't be too hard to find one near Middlesborough either.

Viking sound are in the Northallerton area, so they might even stock one or both of the systems you are after.

I have had considerable experience with KV2 systems, and I would always strongly recommend against them. Particularly the powered speakers.

In my experience they have a tendency to sound dry, cloudy and distorted. I always have to do considerable eqing just to make them sound "not half bad" and would never dream of leaving them un-eq'd.

Dave

I wasn't going to comment on this topic but.......

Dave, seriously if you are using EX Series speakers that sound 'dry, cloudy and distorted' then I'm guessing there's something wrong with them, generally we don't make speaker systems that distort naturally. If you want to give me a call we can have a look at the systems you are using and check them out. Where are you based?

All the best

Andy

Whilst I have never done a gig in a holiday park, don't they tend to have their own systems?

Have you ever seen the sound system in a holiday park?

They last one we were in had a load of old laney speakers on the walls that sounded dreadful, I would never consider slaving into that.

You've got a very good system with the PS10s, that will do quite happily a duo in reasonable sized rooms.

Not quite sure you are correct here ihatefisicks, although the ps10 is a nice sound, there simply won't be enough headroom to cater for some of the larger halls with this small (but good) system.

John Denim.

Whilst I have never done a gig in a holiday park, don't they tend to have their own systems?

Have you ever seen the sound system in a holiday park?

They last one we were in had a load of old laney speakers on the walls that sounded dreadful, I would never consider slaving into that.

You've got a very good system with the PS10s, that will do quite happily a duo in reasonable sized rooms.

Not quite sure you are correct here ihatefisicks, although the ps10 is a nice sound, there simply won't be enough headroom to cater for some of the larger halls with this small (but good) system.

John Denim.

I went down to a caravan park in West Wales to check over their kit (they though they may need new) and they had 4 x Martin Force double 12" subs and 4 JBL Tops (cannot remember the models) in storage. They were using 4 Peavey Hysis 15" Tops though (yuk).

I took out the PV's, used the other speakers, added a crossover on them and what a great sound they had for spending £100+ labour on a x-over. Point being Some holiday parks have great gear, but cannot use it, or have got plonkers who like to fiddle.

Archived