Show Your Show

peter

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe someone has been reading Lightnix's post about the environmental impact of using gaffer tape and decided not to tape the floor down in order to save the planet? :P

Unfortunately this can have the side effect that whenever someone moves on the floor (e.g. dances) it causes the effect seen in the photo: an effect we technically call "a trip hazard". Risk assessment anyone? :)

With regards to that floor.

It's pretty normal as a dancer to go out and see floors like this.

We don't mind too much. And I also know how hard it is too lay it perfectly. Rarely happens, unless it's a permanent install.

Anyway - this has gone a tad off topic.....

for now...

Lawrie

These are some images, minus any talent on stage, from Honk! (by Stiles & Drewe) at the Wilde Theatre at the South Hill Park Arts Centre, Bracknell.

Interesting concept for the show - ours was a lot more cartoony - our 'Cat' set was a 'Ready Steady Cook' style setup - complete with comedy sized frying pan! Albeit we did 'The Elegy/Snowstorm' with 15 white umbrellas in a sort of interpretational moment from the director!

Laid? I think "dropped" is a more appropriate term!

It's not that bad! It's just that no-one has taughtened the Marlay after it's relaxed... It might look a bit scruffy, it doesn't merit the lambasting you guys have just served it with though...

It might look a bit scruffy, it doesn't merit the lambasting you guys have just served it with though...

It's a bit of fun! This is the Crew Room, after all. We give out this kind of stuff all the time in our crew room and no-one takes it personally.

The first person to point out the rucks in the floor was Bryson who used to be Technical Manager of a top professional dance venue where that kind of thing would have been 100% unacceptable: the trip hazard is just too great. The next comment was from Gareth who is Technical Manager of a professional producing theatre where the same would be true. We're all aware that the person who posted the image is a student and may not work to the same exacting standards as some of us and, indeed, we may even have done a rehearsal on a similar floor ourselves when we were his age. Nevertheless, if someone came into my crew room with the same photo they'd have got the same response! It's all just a bit of fun. Loz, please don't take it personally. :)

The next comment was from Gareth who is Technical Manager of a professional producing theatre where the same would be true.

Thanks for the 'virtual promotion', but sadly I'm not actually the technical manager - I'm a bit further down the food chain than that! But I've worked on my fair share of dance over the years, and you don't have to be a tech manager to know a tatty dance floor when you see one ... :)

It might look a bit scruffy, it doesn't merit the lambasting you guys have just served it with though...

It's a bit of fun! This is the Crew Room, after all. We give out this kind of stuff all the time in our crew room and no-one takes it personally.

The first person to point out the rucks in the floor was Bryson who used to be Technical Manager of a top professional dance venue where that kind of thing would have been 100% unacceptable: the trip hazard is just too great. The next comment was from Gareth who is Technical Manager of a professional producing theatre where the same would be true. We're all aware that the person who posted the image is a student and may not work to the same exacting standards as some of us and, indeed, we may even have done a rehearsal on a similar floor ourselves when we were his age. Nevertheless, if someone came into my crew room with the same photo they'd have got the same response! It's all just a bit of fun. Loz, please don't take it personally. :)

hèhè, I'm not really a student anymore. that particular show was more of an intervention :** laughs out loud **:

there was no budget at all, no idea about the lighting, nothing to use (some small fixtures and 5kW total), nothing to rig them too, a show not finished at all and a premiere in 2 days. thats why I didn't have the time to lay down that dancefloor properly and I left it the way it was when I entered the studio. it would have taken a very long time (bad tape, tape goo all over the place, no tape at all in stock)

I wish I had the chance to do it right because it's not really good advertisement for me...

Guess the show!

http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v169/192/29/61401175/n61401175_36485982_8226.jpg

http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v169/192/29/61401175/n61401175_36485999_2223.jpg

http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v169/192/29/61401175/n61401175_36485987_9371.jpg

http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v169/192/29/61401175/n61401175_36485977_7063.jpg

Everyone's probably done it about six times!

Archived