Show Your Show

peter

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, last month I lit a dance group's (not school, club) annual show.

I've finally been given permission from the company chair to share the video.

Entire show run from MagicQ synced to timecode. I pressed go twice, once for the start of each act.

LED Bars, LED Pars, Mac 250 Entours and MS Lighting MVS575I.

Josh

Just curious as to how well the MS Lighting 575w movers have worked out for you after using them for a few months?

Loving the LED back lighting, and the wonderful silhouettes they create :** laughs out loud **: Liking the use of the LED Bars, just curious as to what bars you were using? As im looking at getting some myself.

Is it just the camera recording or what, because for a dance show - particually a kids one - it all looks a bit gloomy and under lit.

Indeed.

The primary rule of thumb should always be that your talent needs to be seen - especially for school/dance school performances, as all their parents/friends/etc want to see THEM more than pretty lights.

That's not to say that the 'rule' can't be broken on occasion for effect, but effects that last the whole song aren't really 'effects', more the general lighting state.

I too hope it was the camera that couldn't pick up your front light for some reason...

I assume you're referring more to the second video (I got a feelin'). This was a deliberate design decision based on the idea that the choreographer came up with to have a "gradual" reveal. I tried a couple of things out, firstly with my generic side lights, and adding a tad more front on every change. The director thought that too much could be seen with that and said "can't you point those moving ones at them?" I did that, put the gobo in and that's what you can see on the video. There was little to no front light at the beginning but the camera still seems to have struggled. It's a good indication of relative levels but as an absolute, it's not very good. There was more light in general than you could see on there.

I'm quite glad that I'm getting some good critique on this though! Please keep it coming.

Josh

Just curious as to how well the MS Lighting 575w movers have worked out for you after using them for a few months?

Loving the LED back lighting, and the wonderful silhouettes they create :** laughs out loud **: Liking the use of the LED Bars, just curious as to what bars you were using? As im looking at getting some myself.

The MS 575s have been very nice. They're a good amount brighter than the Mac250 Entours I also had in on that show. The LED Battens are Visage Units, I don't remember the model numbers, they're IP rated and I have 50 of them outside uplighting the VIP marquee for the America's Cup at the moment. They've been soaked to death with the weather we've had here and have done very well.

Josh

Yup, agree the effects moments (er....the whole song . .) is nice, but it really could of done with some more wallop from the front- if nothing else just to have a bright state for curtain calls :-)

Im looking for cheap and cheerful batterns that can get knocked around a bit. Might have to have a look at those ones you used.

A college production of Chicago we did earlier this year. Lighting design by my colleague, I built all the custom electronics and controllers in the set. We both built the rig and designed most of the set. Also a custom made festoon sign at the front of the theatre running on a standalone custom made DMX controller.

http://I.imgur.com/Jl7mM.jpg

http://I.imgur.com/j5htl.jpg

http://I.imgur.com/bAawl.jpg

http://I.imgur.com/tTXKY.jpg

fliggygeek - that does look pretty special.. perfect amount off key light and nice choice of colour with the red too. All the set does look excellent too!

Nice one!

I really like that first pic! Those steps look amazing.

What was the control for all of this?

Josh

Those steps were a pain, theyre fully DMX controlled, but I ran out of time to set the dimming curves before the show started using them so had to use them as on or off. Oh well, at least they worked, as did the 2.5 Metre "C" on the cyc.

600 red LEDs hand soldered on the "C" in three dimmable channels, 1000 white LEDs hand soldered in the stairs in two sets of 10 stairs.

A lot more pics of the show if you want to peek, im shocked at how well it turned out, would have put more than 300 hours into it.

Chicago Album

Archived