Cloth folding

andeharding

vote for ties showing and front to the inside. Reason for ties showing is so I can see which way up to unfold to minimise dragging around the floor.

I fold depending on the size of the cloth and how they fit into our space. Bigger cloths, I have to fold to the middle to enable me to 'sail' and not drag.

The correct size cloths for our venue (10m by 6m), I keep folding in half with ties to the top until it is just less than the width of the bag. Then keep going bottom to top until it will fit the bag in the other direction.

Is this not the norm?

Drew.

(edit: clarification)

There are (as you see) several schools on this one.

My way (and the way I was taught many years ago, and what I tend to insist on at our venue) is similar to several above...

Face up on deck.

Fold in half left to right, keeping ties at top.

Keep folding in half til around 18 inches or so wide.

Fold top in ONCE, then fold from bottom between 18" to 2 feet depending on size of cloth.

This way the ties are protected by the single fold in at the top, but they're also easily accessible when re-hanging. And as many cloths get labelled along the top webbing it's easy to find that label when looking for the right one to hang.

Hmmmmm (tm used with permission)

The standard at "my" venue is

Face up on the deck

bottom to top

repeat until cloth height is less than bag height

both edges to just short of centre

repeat until each side is less than bag width

one side onto other side

place in bag with ties at the top.

When completed the ties should be easily seen and the marked centre line should also be clearly visible.

Wealways try to fold in a similar way to Lee, the main reason for folding bottom to top first is so that the cloth can be unfolded across the width of the bar and tied on without needing to unfold the rest of the cloth until you are ready to fly it out, otherwise the cloth will fill the stage while it's being tied. useful when you have a lot of cloths and a couple of crews tying on at the same time, ot when the lampies are zooming across the stage in the genie.

Face up on the deck

bottom to top

repeat until each side is less than bag width

one side onto other side

place in bag with ties at the top.

When completed the ties should be easily seen and the marked centre line should also be clearly visible.

You know, this does actually make sense! :rolleyes:

I've been happy with our method for over 20 years, but I may just re-think....!

Hmm.....

Face up on the deck

bottom to top

/snip

With you most of the way but I like to roll at the end, usually once the cloth is 1/3 of the width.

I just find a rolled cloth easier to handle than a fully folded one.

I just find a rolled cloth easier to handle than a fully folded one.

I've found that rolled cloths (after folding) tends to put harder creases in them - not quite sure why...

You'll never get away from creases, obviously, but.....

May I apply for the trademark on "Interesting"? For that is how I seem to want to start most posts these days.

To the point.

We don't have any flying capabilities at work, but we do hang cloths on tracks or scaff. So...Our 6’6” x 20’ wing drapes are folded in half length ways twice, face up, then in half length ways three times. This then fits into a rubble sack for dust free storage.

The black back cloths, each 14’ x 20', are placed on the deck face up, folded in the same way as the wing drapes, but with the last bit is done in to the middle, leaving a small gap to allow a hinge effect!

The gauze, something like 180' x 25' (no typo) takes ages, and is folded fan like every 6 tabs, as it is not possible to lay the whole thing flat on the stage.

We are designing boxes that can be placed under the wing drapes to fold/store them as the rig drops to the floor for rigging, any thoughts on that?!

Archived