Police vet live music, DJs for 'terror risk'

Andrew C

A thought occurred to me this morning:

In Afghanistan, the Taliban banned music because it was "too western". In London, the police are banning music because "it might encourage terrorism".

As Private Eye would say: "Shurely Shome Mishtake here, occifer".

Regarding British ID cards, I note that the "terrorist threat" is being used as an excuse for bringing them in. However, what nobody in the Home Office has mentioned is that the 7/7 bombers were all completely legal UK citizens and would have had no problem obtaining and carrying such cards.

I you give away too much freedom to "fight terrorism" then the terrorists have already won.

Bob

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reading through the Reg`s article only mention of terrorism is actually by Mr Sharkey, unclear wether this form is being introduced as part of some new anti terrorist legisaltion.

Though it should be noted that recent locking of Iceland`s UK assets was performed under fresh off the press anti terror laws which may make it the fastest any government has [ab]used legislation in a manner not orginally anticipated.

Once it the legislation and enforcement is established it can have very unexpected consequences.

Clamping down on music events sounds much like the `repetitive beats` anti rave legislation of some years ago, that still exists on the books.

Difference here is enquiring and specifically singling out a particular group, this time racial next time political?

Perhaps that political comic is a bit off colour for the Chief Constables personal taste......

A single number makes ID theft extremely easy, once the security is broken , which is inevitable its not just the technology, its the minimum wage data entry staff and the people wandering around with data on removable media that they have no right to be in posession of who are the weak link.

When you can`t rely on the security of an ID card the very reason for the existence of ID cards fails.

As for super databases, dont make me laugh, currently attempting to make DVLA, RBS, HBOS, Barclaycard, Electoral Roll , Equifax and Experian all agree on the address I have occupied for over 10 years, they all have slightly different versions. No other government database functions particularly well standalone , never mind trying to integrate them.

The desire of our current Nannies to want such a thing is more worrying than any prospect of such a thing actually working.

Writing to your M.P. is so much easier with email and it can be fun to play Paxman with your local stuffed suit:

http://www.writetothem.com/

Oh and that form, if theyve got an audience they`re obviously Pop Music performers ;-)

If you are as incensed as I am, perhaps writing to your MP would be in order.

You really think that'll do any good?

You have to at least write to your MP otherwise how will any thing change if they do not know what people think, as they say from little acorns grow.

Sitting at home or ranting on a chat room does not to get to the authorities if they do not know. At the least you can tell your sitting LOCAL MP athat you will change your vote next time around. Might get his attention then when his Pension and Job are at stake.

Just think about it

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, interesting.

Well, as many others have said , irrispective of colour etc etc - caus im certainly not waving THAT flag - I have found that the most trouble on live events HAS been with RnB , Hip-Hop and some DnB events and any other "Urban" type events.

But this is a majority , and not a conclusive fact. For example , one gig I was lighting couple of years ago, was an urban celebration at the festival Hall in london. day one was really good , day two was meant to be a live fashion show / music. As the crowd were coming in , one person decided to FIRE a pistol into the air - which caused total panic, the venue was cleared and the event shut down.

90 % of the crowd were "ethnic" and while I dont have an issue personally, I do think that these guys kind of create their own identity problems - usually with a minority letting down the majority of people who were there to have a good time and have fun , and then start playing the old racist card when anybody says anything. Its a load of crap.

However, I dont think "artists" like 50 cent et al should be "performing" with explicit lyrics such as "killing all the homosexuals" - or whatever.

I just think that certain events should be policed or monitored in different ways - subject to the type of event and what its implications are.

My security & risk assesemnt for a Tweenies concert is going to be far less than a Jay-Z gig

• 1 month later...
They will have all the data and still miss the ones that matter among all the lists for "Friday Night is Music Night" and other subversive events.

Although on the plus side, if someone leaves the list on the train it could count as free publicity once it makes the press!!

• 3 months later...

I for one completely agree with everything Andrew is saying. To some, it may be true that certain gigs attract the wrong type of crowds and things unfortunate things happen which is no good for anyone. But looking through all of the threads it seems to me that most of you are missing the point which is trying to be stated, and that is...

Why is this supposedly being pushed through as an anti terror law?????????

Policing of events in the correct manner is good for one and all, but to pin as many things possible down on this whimsical statement is just plain stupid!!!

Bring back Maggie

Archived