Budget 12" Powered Speakers

Sound In Gloucestershire

dB technologies opera active speakers arent bad for the money, a colleague had a couple of them, and they sound alright.

lots of low end for your discos....

I'll definately 2nd that. I've got some DB Technologies Opera 402 active speakers, £600 a pair and they sound about the best for the price that I've heard. To notice a real difference with better sound quality you'd have to pay about £600 each speaker to get better sound quality. The midrange is very clean and clear too. I think, personally, the sound quality poo poo's all over the Mackie SRM450, and the Alto, Peavey and Behringer too. I use to have some Peavey Hi-sys 4xt cabs and the sound was thumping but not clear at all. I've heard countless Peavey speakers since then, and Behringer too, plus my mates got some Skytec, and although Peavey are better sound quality than the Behringer alto and Skytec, they're still classed as bottom of the range PA for a reason, and thats because they can't take the battering that RCF, DB Technologies and JBL can and thos makes just urinate all over Peavey's sound quality too. I'd never heard DB Technologies speakers before I bought my Opoera 402 speakers, but I tell ya, now I'm a DB Technologies believer. I guess they're so good because they're the sister company of RCF. I know that because a DB Technologies sales rep told a mate in the PA equipment shop.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know that because a sales rep told a mate in the PA equipment shop.

straight from the horse's mouth then ;)

Yeah I guess you could say that. He told my mate at the shop that about it being RCF's sister company when the new Arena Pro series came out and visited the shop. But now all distribution for DB Technologies and RCF as well in the UK has been closed. The head offices were closed this year about 5 months ago and now you can only get them by going through a shop who deal DB Technologies and RCF, and the shop have to order them from abroad. What a bugger. You wouldn't think RCF would close their offices, because they're one of the biggest speaker manufacturers in the world. I would have to say the biggest seeing how so many speaker companies use their drivers. You can still get their drivers etc...in the uk at Audio-Workshop though, just not the full cabinets.

Moderation: This is factually wrong. We would normally have just deleted it, but a subsequent post from RCF clarifies matters.

Please check your facts before posting. "Some bloke told my mate" isn't exactly an authoritative source.

Hello, im wondering if any blue roomers have any experience with the budget end of 12" powered speakers? I need a pair for multiple uses, small vocal PA, childrens disco's and just general Voice Amplification, so they dont need to be anything special!

I have heard the Peavey Pro 12P's, sounded fine for the Disco Music, although the cheap horn wasnt so hot for running any vocals through. Also have been advised that they are unreliable! Approx £400 pair

I have spotted some Warrior (W Audio) PSR 12A speakers at approx £360 a pair. The spec looks nice, especially the compression driver for the top end. Plus they include free padded bags, bonus for plastic cabs! Wondering if anyones heard them or used them? Theres no local dealers stocking this model which is a shame ;)

I am looking for options, ive spotted the skytec ones and cant bring myself to even consider them!

Any help is appreciated, thanks

I've rooted out these new LD ones at £330 a pair!! and they're NEO!! http://www.pasupercentre.co.uk//category-1...LD-PN122A2.html

I know that because a sales rep told a mate in the PA equipment shop.
straight from the horse's mouth then :rolleyes:
Yeah I guess you could say that. He told my mate at the shop that about it being RCF's sister company when the new Arena Pro series came out and visited the shop. But now all distribution for DB Technologies and RCF as well in the UK has been closed. The head offices were closed this year about 5 months ago and now you can only get them by going through a shop who deal DB Technologies and RCF, and the shop have to order them from abroad. What a bugger. You wouldn't think RCF would close their offices, because they're one of the biggest speaker manufacturers in the world. I would have to say the biggest seeing how so many speaker companies use their drivers. You can still get their drivers etc...in the uk at Audio-Workshop though, just not the full cabinets.

Hi DJ Teknovibe

I think you may need to check the facts with your source, I work for RCF UK Sales and the office that has closed was the DB Technologies Office in Ivor Bucks, RCF still have and have always had a Pro Installation and commercial sound division in the UK and this has now expanded to take over total control of all the RCF products for the UK and Ireland. The db technologies office has been relocated to the north of England and a new sales manager has been appointed please check the Db Technologies website for details.

The RCF UK Sales office is still operating as it was but like I mentioned above has taken over the sales of the Mi/pro ranges which has bought it all into line and under one umbrella, RCF can be contacted on 0844 745 1234 and at info@rcfaudio.co.uk , www.rcfaudio.co.uk

We have always operated with a major warehouse in Europe rather than have seperate warehouses in each sales territory, this is mainly so as a company we can operate in a more efficient way, with total stock control in one location but more importantly this helps to make the overall cost of the product more competitive.

The pre and after sales/service support has always been in the UK and there are no plans to alter this! They can also be contacted via the same details above.

I hope this helps clear up any confusion.

Regards

Greg Oliver

RCF UK Sales and Support Office

Oh cool, thats good news then. Thank you for that imformation, I'm truly greatful. I'm after some RCF Acustica C5212L cabinets and thought that it might be hard to get hold of them. I know its very difficult to get a demo of them somewhere which is what I'd really like to do before buying them. I live in Boston, Lincolnshire and there's nowhere that know of that has them on demo.

So not IYO then Rob? :unsure:

TBH not IMO either.

No comment on the Behringer, as I have not heard them, but the budget skytec are certainly better than the 'pro' range from Peavey.

What's wrong with this company?

I have some 118xt's which have no low end at all, no matter what I try to do with them, maybe it's cos they are made of flippin chipboard.

Also I have some Impulse 200's, which are not too bad 100-150hz upwards, (OK, maybe a little harsh) but full range, Pants.

I'd say Peavey were OK competition wise (bang per buck) during the mid 90's, but now compared to similar priced cabs they are left on the shelf.

The Carlsbro orion are better than the pro 12's/15's, which is saying something.

Just my opinion.

In the last 15 years Peavey's sound quality has improved quite a fair bit*. However the problem arises when newcomers to the market come in with budget products built in places unknown for half the money, they're getting similar and better sounding boxes.

* HDH Excluded as these were great boxes and really efficient too.

Going OT a little, the concert cabs were pretty good, bit did suffer proper gut thumping low end.

Would this have anything to do with the chipboard they are made of?

Alot (if not most) make their cabs from 18mm birch ply, is this a better construction material?

I would have though so...

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Saying that though, the HDH were damn heavy!!!

Archived