Budget 12" Powered Speakers

Sound In Gloucestershire

There are many people that will tell you that chipboard boxes SOUND better in the LF. There's most likely some truth in this though of course the difference will be minimal in comparison to the difference in box design and the drivers used. Not to mention the source material. Build quality generally suffers significantly enough to warrant building from ply instead.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it seems we've got off on a tangent, but its one I can comment on

the company I do alot of work with has alot of Peavey stuff for the lower end work, mainly the grey fronted Hisys 2's (15" Black widow with 22Xt Horn) which sound "ok" and loud, which is what they are used for. They have the Hisys 118 bass cabs, pretty gutless IMO, but when coupled with the top cabs (using the crossover in the bass cabs) the volume increases dramatically, so if you need it Louder, then Job Done, but still not alot of bass

Now, just yesterday they were testing cabs before a few hires went out, mixer set up, amp turned up half way and just plugging a speakon into a long line of cabs to check all the components are working. Side by side was a Grey Fronted Hisys 2 speaker and the very latest foam fronted (they now look like a whole bunch of high end speaker boxes with the foam grill on the front). The difference was astounding, louder, clearer and with more clarity (and thump) in the same cab! Also physically they were lighter to pick up. My only concern was the outside of the box appears to be great for installs, but not rugged enough for gigging and would look tatty after a few months regular work

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

haha that big post and I forgot what I came here for

As previously mentioned I ended up buying the Warrior PSR12A's

tonight was first gig "in Anger"

Solo singer and Loud disco type music. I am thoroughly pleased, singer was happy, her vocals came through loud and clear (over pre-recorded backing) and the disco music sounded clear, loud and just right for the venue (approx 120 people). Very happy with the speakers, but I will be disconnecting the super bright blue LED on the front of the cabs haha

thats the ones John, if im honest, I dont tend to read the spec too much on speakers, I tend to let my ears decide. However there is a huge difference in quality and warmth, im not sure how theyve done it?

Looking at that site it says the horn is an RX22, the Hisys speakers had a 22XT horn, I presume these are slightly different? Also the black widow driver basket has been re-designed, its now physically lighter, im not sure if the basket design affects the sound side of things?

Archived