Custard Pies

katw

Real cream stinks when it goes off. Virtually everything will sting and stain if it isn't washed off. If you need large amounts of foam, then shaving sticks grated into warm water and stirred with one of those paint stiring gadgets in the end of a power drill work really well. I've worked on lots of foam shows and this method is now more often replaced by large budget cans of pre-made stuff.

as bruce says, it does make the stage slippery, but so does everything else, and you always have to mop the stage anyway. To the best of my knowledge, shaving foam, despite stinging, doesn't cause any eye problems. I suspect I'd rather have that in my eyes rather than eggs!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shaving Sticks can be bought from most supermarkets/pharmacies, the recipe we used for Panto this year added a teaspoon of Glycerine to the mix, which apparently stops the stinging.

Stuff in a can: forget it, it's rubbish and you'll get through it so quickly it'll cost you a fortune

Whipped cream: is very greasy and tends to deflate very quickly

As stated above, all will produce a slippery mess if allowed to come into contact with the floor so a thorough mopping will generally remove any slippage hazards

Shaving Sticks can be bought from most supermarkets/pharmacies, the recipe we used for Panto this year added a teaspoon of Glycerine to the mix, which apparently stops the stinging.

Stuff in a can: forget it, it's rubbish and you'll get through it so quickly it'll cost you a fortune

Whipped cream: is very greasy and tends to deflate very quickly

As stated above, all will produce a slippery mess if allowed to come into contact with the floor so a thorough mopping will generally remove any slippage hazards

23 years in the biz worked with shaving sticks all my life, bit more work got so much more worth it, ask the circus !

Has to be said, my all time favorite after a day of testing was Superdrug's own shaving foam, didn't sting (I had an actor with really senstive skin) and stayed "puffy" for approx 90mins before use. The can cost about 85p, but you used to get about 8 pies out of it.

It did still leave the stage sticky, but when we did Bugsy the pies were only used in the end scene, so it was only the bows you had to worry about, but we kept flan flinging to up stage to lessen the risk. Also silly string was great, this was used for the splurge guns (and also used by the crew from the wings on the last night!) :mods:

My old school produced Bugsy Malone a few years ago. Like has been mentioned, we just used shaving cream. There wasn't much pie throwing until the final scene though, so that negated a lot of the issues with slipperiness. Not sure if it was mentioned above however, but it did make a nice mess of the black drapes! We also used cans of shaving foam in the guns (silly string - now that would have been a cool idea!), but I didn't really see much of that - I missed the rehearsals because of work experience, and ended up sitting behind a curtain for the 2 runs of the show that I was at :D

On a related note, I thought I'd made a good escape not having been hit or covered in shaving foam on the way out after the show. Until someone walked past me and brushed against my (black) jacket. I wasn't impressed :mods:

Any of the suggestions are workable. At the end of the day you are gonna be chucking X amount of Y onto the stage so no matter what you use it will cause a slip hazzard. The simple solution is to limit the amount and the use of the pies. Simple to say but not so easy to manage.

I have always used either shaving foam or angel delight for any pies / cakes.

Also silly string was great

AAAAARRRRGGGHHHHHH !!!!!! NO NO NO Evil substance that is the Snot of Bealzebub.

Silly String reacts with Harlequin dance floors to give you a lovely plastic coating that cannot be removed from your floor. We had to physically attack the floor with a razor blade to remove it the one and only time it has and ever will be allowed anywhere near any of my floors.

I still have the nervous tick from the last time it was used...

What about hiring a foam machine and just pumping that out onto the sponge 'plates'. The only issues I can see are slippery stage (with anything and as far as I know this is the final scene so not too much of an issue) and maybe the eyes - not sure on the last one.

• 1 year later...

There's a company www.kave.co.uk that sells custard pie mix.

They also advertise on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pro-Custard-Pie-Mix-...4QQcmdZViewItem

To quote the page:

Professional Custard Pie Mix

Not for eating - Just for throwing!

1 Packet with added water makes 5 Ltr.

Just add 1 pint of cold water and whisk thoroughly until stiff..... the perfect

"in your face pie".

To remove - wait until dry then just brush off or use cold water.

Can be re-whipped the next day.

Contains albumen.

Has anybody tried it?

Has anybody tried it?

This looks like the stuff that we used in a show last year.

It did, accidentaly, end up in peoples eyes during the run and they said it stung but not in the way that soap does.

It does wash out of costumes but does not brush off as it promises.

Has anybody tried it?

This looks like the stuff that we used in a show last year.

It did, accidentaly, end up in peoples eyes during the run and they said it stung but not in the way that soap does.

It does wash out of costumes but does not brush off as it promises.

We got it from Lancelyn in Oxford, but it may well be the same stuff. the spraycan stuff was rejected.

Archived