Custard Pies

katw

It's been a while since I've had to do it but I used to use the shaving stick method - can't remember the ratio of stick to water, but it's fun finding out. Get a paint stirring attachment for a power drill to speed up the mixing process.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's been a while since I've had to do it but I used to use the shaving stick method - can't remember the ratio of stick to water, but it's fun finding out. Get a paint stirring attachment for a power drill to speed up the mixing process.

Very little water, you can always add more, and obviously grate the shaving stick.

I used sainsbury's economy shaving foam, under a pound a can, each can did about 12 pies which could be sprayed anywhere up to two hours before use and held their shape/texture. They also didn;t stain the blacks or costumes.

Very successful and can be coloured (but then it stains) with food colouring to create gravy, ketchup, mustard etc.

I automated the process by using an electric whisk, and a boom arm through the handle, and across the bucket! A panto I had an involvement in used 9 buckets/show. It was different....

Have you ever got economy shaving foam in your eye?

yup, I was also IN this production where it was used. I'm pleased to say it has obviously been tested on small rodents/children adequately. Didn't sting a bit. I shoud have said that in my first post obviously :headsetsmiley:

[Very successful and can be coloured (but then it stains) with food colouring

Understatement of the year!!!

There are quicker and less painful ways to commit suicide than getting food colouring on the costumes.

• 2 weeks later...

does anyone have any good ideas/tips on making a good custard pie? they have to be made from real custard (as they are eaten by the cast), but not too runny and not too thick! they get thrown into peoples faces...if they're too runny - they cover the whole of the set, and drip everywhere....and if they're too thick- they dont stick to anyhting, and just go rubbery!

we've tried cornflower, leaving them to set, extra custard powder....but all of them are just so inconsistant!!!

any tips are very welcome!

cheers!

they have to be made from real custard (as they are eaten by the cast),

Nothing like a challenge is there! I assume that you can not have ones that are eaten and ones that are thrown? No, thought not.

Can you have sections that are edible and the rest custard pie mix? No, it was just a thought.

The only other thing I have seen is squirty cream. You have to prepare them as late as possible so they do not start to go sloppy, it makes the stage slippy, it is nasty and smelly if you can not scrub everything it touches but you can eat it.

How about something like angel delight? or Blancmange?

Or, try some whipping cream and give it a really good whisk so it goes thicker. You'll have the same problem with this smelling if it spills anywhere but it should stay thicker than squirty cream. You'll need an electric whisk to get the right consistency I think.

Good luck!

Em

x

• 2 months later...

I am sorry I don't want to appear rude but so many people are under the impression that 'oh no you can't possibly use shaving foam it will sting peoples eyes.

1)I have never ever had it sting my eyes and I have tried it out numorous times over a very short period of time - My sister's school is doing bugsy malone as a production and I am helping out. Because of this I have tried it out several times on myself. Whilst I would always recommend leaving it for 20-40 minutes for the sting to evaporate I have never had it sting my eyes even when used immediately.

2)It is a product that is designed for facial use therefore if it does get into eye and does sting it isn't actually going to do any harm even though it may be a bit painfull.

3)From my experiences it is relatively non-slippery and is certainly less slippery than alternatives which range from canned whipped cream (completley ruins costumes and actors will stink of sour milk for several days afterwards) to custard (which when it dries sticks to costumes and is very hard to remove) to natrosol or other supposedly 'perfect for custard pies' or custard pie mixes. As far as I am concerned these throw up extra problems as they have to be coloured white and are just generally much messier.

4)If shaving foam is good enough for various 'messy TV programmes' such as Tiswas, Dick and dom in da bungalow then surely it is perfectly okay to be used in amateur productions.

I am sorry but I really have to dissagree when people say that shaving foam should never be used. What is 'proffesional custard pie foam?' as far as I can tell it is shaving foam without the alcohol put into a fancy can and sold for about 10 times the price for about half the amount.

• 3 weeks later...
as far as I can tell it is shaving foam without the alcohol put into a fancy can and sold for about 10 times the price for about half the amount.
So you admit that an irritant solvent is removed from the 'proper' custard pie mix.

And for shaving foam is particular - I'm rather allergic to it, and I suspect that I'm not the only one.

(Means the only way I can wet shave is with soap... Annoying!)

I have no problems with the 'proper' custard pie mixes - so they must be more different than just a lack of alcohol, as I'm quite happy to imbibe alcohol-containing fluids on a semi-regular basis.

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

We have a scene in our panto calling for the slapstick custard pie.

Had a look at all opinions on the different methods and just decided to try them all.

Avalanche : Could only find this in a blue can rather than yellow. This is more of a snow effect and it even has warnings about eyes and face, so decided to not try this one, however, for a quick snow effect, sprayed at the object from a distance, looks good. Found it didnt last long at room temperature.

Custard Pie in a can: a small yellow can with contents that are safe for eyes and non-toxic. Takes a bit to shake it up and stop the ball bearing moving around inside. Makes a good pie, but doesnt last long. Starts to deflate quite quickly and becomes very runny.

Powder Custard Pie Mix: This I found to be quite good. Takes a lot to whip it up to the right consistancy, however I found it to be quite sticky and doesnt clean up quite as well as the package makes out it would.

With what I have found so far, the mix is probably what I will be used, however I still think the costumn dept will have words with me after due to its residual stickyness.

Whats everyones favorite for this? When I director calls for a custard pie, what do you reach for?

Archived