Keep Getting Feedback

Billy Rigby

Ah well this is all down to mic technique.

The larger the dynamic range of the voice the more you may need to adjust yourself as there is no engineer to do that for you. However you need to know exactly where to be on the mic for whatever you're singing and that takes practise. Alot of practise. Obviously you are expected to be a little further away for loud long notes but not really far away. Instead, get closer than you have been doing for the quieter ones. SO your average distance from the mic is closer but you still retain the movement. If you get a chance, try going out front during a soundcheck if the venue is closed and seeing what a difference it makes. Be advised that your feedback issues wont show up in the same way, but certainly the volume and how moving closer and further away from the mic will.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, you have to give thanks to Paul and Rob here, because, they have given you a fundamental insight to what knowledge is needed.

It's up to you to decide how you want to advance, people on this forum, including myself, are here to help, but you have to bear in mind most of us have day jobs in this industry.

So when someone comes along and says I have a PA, and after 18 months I haven't a clue how to use it.....but, I'm getting a lot of work from it....

Then I think you can now understand what I said in my post. So with total ignorance, and the free advice of professionals, you're getting away with it..

This is NOT a rant at you. I have the greatest respect that you've laid you're cards on the table and asked for help. In some way shape or form, we all do it when we get out of our depth.

The problem is that this industry is very dynamic, things change on a regular basis, so keeping on top of things is a must....spending 18 months to not learn anything about sound system you own isn't going to get you anywhere in this job. You must focus more and resolve you're issues immediatley.

All the info that others have posted is readily available on the Internet, but you don't seem to have the self motivation to find it.

Well, I think that was a well intentioned reply. You need to know what you're doing. People are paying you for that.

lightsource, I'd pack in the advice now, if I were you, chief. With that last comment you've managed to undo any good will you might have intended in the rest of your post. You've already admitted to trying to restrain yourself in a previous post, lest you incur a warning from the Moderators, but you just can't seem to help yourself in getting in the little digs. I'll thank you to no longer contribute to this thread now.

Just to reply to this, after I made the post I contacted a moderator for his approval, and everything was ok.

I gave you good advice, as someone who works in this industry.

Fine, I will pack in the advice. I only hope others will follow, as you seem to be a total waste of anyone's professionals time.

Believe me, we're not here for you, we're here for the community in general. We give our professional advice on this forum for free, and most people who read the replies to their questions are mostly very greatful for them.....And I'm one of them.

You really don't have a clue about what you're doing, and I don't think you really care, so I commend Rob Beech, for taking the time with you. Hopefully with his advice you can do something good.

All the best on you're future endeavous......

Getting the hang of mic distance related to your voice output does take a while to master, and is usually made much worse by the TV people who have amazingly powerful voices needed much greater distances - but people assume it's just something everyone does. Give Shirley Bassey or Celine Dion a hand microphone and see them do it - watching how they can use the mic as a tool. Some folk never do it and often use a compressor to compress the range from loud to soft. If you watch any old film of singers with big bands, you'' rarely see them move from the mic - Bing Crosby needed close mic technique to make him sound like Bing - move a couple of inches away and it's gone. Tom Jones is another who you can see working the mic to create the sound he wants. His voice is powerful, but he spends a lot of time close in, relying on the sound man to make it sound good. Many rock artistes have to touch the mic with their lips to get 'their' sound - so Bill needs to listen to himself - I'd suggest recording the output of the mixer and hearing what the audience heard.

Archived