Need new mid/highs, narrowed it down to 3,but shich are best?

DJ Teknovibe

Is your target audience completely suicidal? I feel for you ;)

Rob's got a good idea of sticking the loud boxes up high, pointing down. I have a cranked, 7ft pair of Adam Hall tripods I stick my QSCs on when they're not on poles. That's plenty high enough. I have some fixed 12 degree tilts, but I've since discovered variable ones would be more useful. That said, I rarely have to put mine up high as of late!

Well I wouldn't be having the EAW rig anywhere near full, probably not even half volume. It would just be a good thing to have all that headroom. And if I wanted to do an outdoor party in the summer I'd have the perfect mid/high cabs for it. By the way, running a sub off the other side of amp 2 wouldn't be enough sub, too much mid/high, not enough sub. The rig I was first thinking about, about a month ago was 4 EAW KF850 mid/highs and then 4 of these subs :

Void Acoustics Looney Bin Horn Subwoofers

http://proaudioparts.co.uk/images/products/looneybin.jpg

Here's the spec :

Frequency Response : 50hz-200hz

Sensitivity : 105db 1w/1m

Peak Output : 141db (135db continuous)

Impedance : 8 Ohms

They're loaded with Void Acoustics 18" drivers and my mates who've actually heard them say they're absolutely gut wrenching. The only thing is, they don't go very low which is a bit of a bugger. But I guess if I had 4 of them, maybe I'd get respoonse down to about 40hz. Hopefully.

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Wouldn't it best be suited if I got 4 EAW KF850 mid/highs and 4 EAW SB850 subs? That way its an all EAW system and the cabinets are made to be used with each other anyway.

If you're looking at the Void bins but are worried they don't do low enough, you could try EM Acoustic Quakes. Specs for a single enclosure are:

Frequency Response : 35Hz-200Hz

Sensitivity : 106db 1W/1m

Output : 134dB continuous/ 140db peak

Impedance : 8 Ohms

When used in a stack of 4:

Frequency Response : 27Hz-200Hz

Sensitivity : 110db 1W/1m

But then the Voids will also go lower when used in multiples. Whatever you use, make sure your amps have the power and current reserves to be able to drive them properly. Using cheap amps on this type of cabinet will make their specs worthless.

You'd need more than 4 to get a response down to and beyond 40Hz at any reasonable output (compared to that above 40Hz) You also need to start tailoring the eq to flatten out the response. The boxes (due to the style of box they are) are not great sounding close up, and this is where all the action needs to be by the sound of things. Reflex boxes will give you more punch close up.

Yes you'd be better off with EAW subs and EAW tops but either way the system (the tops anyway) are not suitable for the jobs you are doing. Their sound close up is awful. This is nothing against the box, the same applies to similar boxes, c4, flash, flood, w8, xarray. I'm sure you can hire a suitable system for outdoors when its required so you can BUY a more suitable system for most of your jobs.

I just checked my current system, 4 Celestion QXi315 3-way full range cab's spec sheet and the disperion is 90 x 40 dgree and I haven't heard any problems with comb filtering yet and I've done plenty of parties with them. So maybe some new speakers with a 90 x 40 degree dispersion will be ok. I think what I might very well do is to buy 4 RCF Acustica C5212L full range cabs and then buy a pair of JBL SRX-728S dual 18" subs to go underneath. I'm sure that would do for the venues I hold parties at. ie the pub and village halls. I can run the 4 RCF cabs off a Crown XTi-4000 amp and the subs off a Crown MA-5002VZ amp. I think that system will good enough.

The Looney Bins you've linked to aren't in fact a Void product, as I'm sure Rog will be very quick to point out if he reads this thread, it's red rag to a bull with him :rolleyes: . The loonies do have a variant of the Void V18-1000 driver in them, but with a different coil to branded Void products. The Looney is a free plan DIY cab, which Pro Audio Parts manufacture under licence, unlike Stasys which is a commercial product.

If you need to go low and want to take the Void route, the only way to go is Stasys X

http://www.voidaudio.com/product_detail.asp?id=76

They're on casters and provided you're on a stage or raised decking, when upended are a reasonable height to put a MH box on top to throw above head height.

The Stasys speakers are way overpriced. I got a quote for a each Stasys 3 cabinet being £2,700 each excluding vat. It works out to £3,173 each Stasys 3 speaker cabinet, and they're passive too. I know for a fact I'd rather have a a Turbosound Aspect TA500DP speaker cabinet any day which you can get for £3,500 each inc vat, and they've got built in Lab Gruppen amplifiers. By the way, it says here :

http://proaudioparts.co.uk/looneybin.asp

that the modifications were carried out by Rog Mogale himself and he was pleased with the extra 3db output. Like I said though, Void Acoustics speakers are damn good but way overpriced. By the way, I got a question to ask you guys, is this the correct damping factor calculation?

JBL SRX728S, 4 ohms running 1 on each channel of a Crown K2 amplifier with its 3,000 damping factor into 8 ohms. I'll be using 12 guage cable which has an impedance of 0.0016 ohms per foot. The length of cable I'll be using will be 10 feet which gives an impedance of 0.0160 feet of impedance. And the total damping factor I'll be getting will be 115.606.

Is that correct?

Not so,

The 1850 horn is the free plan DIY cab designed for the PD1850. The looney bin is a commercially made box based on that design but modified by Rog to be louder and lower and use a driver similar to the V18-1000.

Rob

Your point accepted re 1850 vs Looney bin, Rob

However the driver in a Looney is not "similar" to a V18-1000, it is a V18-1000.

To be precise, a V18-1000A driver, with an aluminium coil.

Tony

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

The Stasys speakers are way overpriced. I got a quote for a each Stasys 3 cabinet being £2,700 each excluding vat.

That's list price, no one pays list price for pro PA. There's good deals to be had.

The Stasys 3 MkII is IMHO good value. Don't judge before you've heard them. They're beautiful.

Moderation: This topic has turned into something of an embarassment to many BR members, so the last few posts have been removed, along with those of members posting with jaws dropped in amazement. The forum requires members to act responsibly, and post in a similar manner. The topic is closed as it ran off the rails really badly. If anyone wishes to contribute further, contact a mod and we may consider re-opening it - but frankly, I doubt it.

Archived