New Stage Electrics Web Site

Chiefy

I don't disagree, or agree here,

but from a simple point of view, I would like to qoute a customer for a job, without having to call the dry hire company to get prices they could have given me off the web, if they had the facilities to do so in the first place.

Simple maths?

Most people are price led. Competition issue here, so can't comment further, but you know what I mean.

I just think it would be a great tool, to be able to price a job 24/7, without talking to anyone and knowing the actual costs involved......

Remember, we are a hire company, not a receiving venue. So strange things crop up once in awhile.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Simple maths?

Yes simple maths. :rolleyes:

I just think it would be a great tool, to be able to price a job 24/7, without talking to anyone and knowing the actual costs involved......

But my point is that you can price that job 24/7 without talking to anyone - easily.

You ask your supplier, once, "what is my discount?" - they say (for example) "it's 10%"

Then you just price the job by the list prices, multiply by 0.9 and that's the answer. That's all a logged-in site would do for you - a simple calculation that you can do yourself.

Remember, we are a hire company, not a receiving venue. So strange things crop up once in awhile.

You think strange things don't crop up for receiving venues? :)

My initial impressions are that I like the layout and speed of it. I don't like trawling through so many menus to get to what I want to see, and some extra product information would be nice. Also, the "WHO ARE YOU?" button at the top seems a bit, well, confrontational?

Certainly an improvement on that awful cascading mouseover menu thing that was there before.

Shame it's still impossible to view on my phone, though. I'd quite like to be able to just call up the site to get a quick price for something every so often, when there's not a computer to hand. Seems that it doesn't let me get beyond the top level categories for hire.

I like the new site. Much better. Don't use their site that regularly, so it isn't going to make my life immensely better.

I'm with Bryson on the rates displayed. I think SLX must have 1000's of customers, so creating a login page and adding their details to the database of the site, would quite likely be a lot of hassle for very little gain. If you trade that regularly with them that regularly then you'll know your discount and can easily work out your pricing 24/7.

I for one (and I am a customer, for both hire and sales) look at you're website prices and go straight to other companies, who quote a more realistic price. After all, it's easier and cheaper than you're published prices.

I think the rates are very realistic. For an end user. I would argue that anyone charging less than this to an end client is doing the industry no favours what so ever, and only responsible for screwing us (rental houses) all over. Trade should use the list rate as a guide, and factor in the level of discount they know they should get. Going somewhere else because the web list rate is above your trade rate is silly.

Thanks all for your comments and questions so far, they are all really useful and will indeed get fed back into the company (we will also look at our spelling!)

In answer to some questions about log-in and customer discounts... We do indeed have a log in section for new and existing credit and cash customers under 'My Account'.

Existing cash customers will need to register on the website as an 'online customer'. They will receive a 10% discount off their first online order.

Web customers from our old website will need to re-register on our new website. These customers have been sent an e-shot with a unique promotional code and will receive 12% off their first online order.

Existing credit account customers with us can have their credit account activated so they can use it online. They will need to complete a form (available from either your rep or from the main office) return it to the accounts dept. They will not need to register on the website, log-in details will be sent to them when their account is activated. They will receive 10% off their first online order.

If you are a customer who receives regular discount then these discounts will indeed be shown on your online account. Please note discounts must be pre-arranged with yourself and either your SE rep or the office. These discounts can be applied to only sales at the moment .

You'll also be pleased to hear that Ex Hire will be returning to the site within the next few weeks, by popular demand!

Keep the comments coming!

well then to pic out just a couple, firstly in the lighting control section when you eventually get down the list to avolites it lists the pearl at 512 channels when in actual fact it can output up to 2048 at standard. And secondly were the listing is for saphire there is a picture of a bloody azure !!! ** laughs out loud ** someone sort it out !

Have fun...

James VLD

(we will also look at our spelling!)

You might want to check for a few other inaccuracies like:-

Avolites Sapphire with a picture of an Azure

Avolites ART 2000 with a picture of an ART 4000

Avolites ART 4000 with a picture of an ART 2000

At least the L-Acoustics Kiva & Kilo boxes are now correctly listed, not as EAW as they were when I looked on Friday!

:)

Otherwise I agree it's a nice looking site.

Thanks again for the positive responses.

The majority of the staff involved with the web site regularly visit the Blue Room and are picking up on your comments in order to improve the site, so keep them coming!

We are making all the changes to the mistakes already spotted...

Are the any other things not on the site that you would like to see?

If you would all like to address your invoices for proof reading, beta testing and error checking the website to ...

That reminds m - I must send my bills to Microsoft, Google and all the rest. Must be owed quite a few quid by now.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a bit late to this thread, but I thought I'd add that I was a bit surprised to see that the sales and hire baskets are separate. It makes it a bit of a pain to price a job which involves both - for example hiring a few lanterns and buying colour. There are also still quite a few spelling mistakes, although now that I've got round to posting I can't remember where I spotted them :** laughs out loud **:

Other than that I like it. It's a vast improvement on the old site, and is so much easier to use.

First thing I notice (due to my XHTML / CSS backgronud), go on to your site, and disable all images (it won't happen on 9/10 users, but it might just be that one...) (may I suggest the Web Developer Toolbar for disabling said images (and Firefox)). Once the images are disabeled, you'll see the extent of the problem.

This stems from the image replacement technique you are using. There are many CSS image replacement techniques, and, unfortunatley, the method choosen for this site isn't the most ideal, usable or accessible.

I'll have a look further into the site, but just as a quick big problem, there is one...

Archived